Job status: Inactive
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: Kigali, Rwanda
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Senior Agroforestry Field Technician - TREPA Project Rwanda
OverviewThe Senior Agroforestry Field Technician will provide technical support for the implementation of the ‘Transforming Eastern Province through Adaptation’ (TREPA) project in Rwanda. The role holders will report directly to the TREPA Field Project Manager and the relevant Output leader(s).
Duties and responsibilities
- Networking with local authorities and lead
farmers for smooth implementation of the project.
- Monitor the
project and disseminate project information across implementation sites.
- Collect data, back
stopping and disseminate project information and technical bulletins.
- Conduct capacity
building of farmer including farmers mobilization, organizing exchange visits
and recruiting lead farmers, liaising with extension staff and engaging other
- Initiate and
supervise diverse tree seedling production work in collaboration with local
tree nurseries and organize trainings on tree nurseries, seedlings production
& care, tree planting & management, smart and conservation agriculture
practices and gender mainstreaming and transformation.
seedlings distribution and planting activities across farmer fields and collect
field data on tree seedling establishment: survival, growth performance, and
- Organize for field
visits, supplies requisition, meetings, reviews, monitor surveys and attend
Agroforestry demonstration pilots in cropland and rangelands and develop
protocols and lay outs for establishing demonstration plots.
- Establish data
collection demonstration plots and do data cleaning and reporting.
Degree in either Agroforestry, forestry, natural resource management,
horticulture related fields.
least 5 years hands-on field experience in implementing large Agroforestry or
forestry projects with data gathering requirements
Education, knowledge and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in either agroforestry, forestry, natural resource management, horticulture related fields. At least 5 years hands-on field experience in implementing large agroforestry or forestry projects with data gathering requirements
Personal attributes and competencies
- Self-driven and impressive capacity to implement workplans under minimum supervision.
- Excellent community mobilization skills and establishing good rapport.
- Ability to communicate effectively, work under pressure and within tight schedules to meet ambitious tree planting targets.
- Flexibility and willingness to work for long period within rural set ups of Bugesera, Rwamagana, Kirehe, Kayonza, Gatsibo, Ngoma and Nyagatare districts.
- Fluent in written and spoken English language and local languages (Kinyarwanda).
Terms and conditions
- This is a Locally Recruited position. The initial appointment will be for two (2) years, with a six-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Dec-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Theme Leader - Biodiversity and Tree Genetic Resources (Global Position)
Theme Leader – Sustainable Value Chains and Investments (Global Position)
Climate Change Specialist cum Project Manager (Local Position)
Hanoi, Viet Nam
Consultant – GLFx Coordinator (Consultancy)
Home based, preferably in CEST time zone
GLFx Digital & Community Support Intern (Internship)
Home-based, preferably in CEST time zone or similar
Program Assistants (Local Position)
Any of the TOFI target States (Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Haryana, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh), India
Research Group Assistant (Local Position)
Vegetable Business Officer (Local Position)
Behaviour Change for Resilient Livelihood and Food Security Research Assistant (Local Position)
PHI Coordination Assistant (Local Position)
Program Assistant – Seed Systems and Technology Transfer (Local Position)