Job status: Inactive
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Deputy Finance Manager - Grants
OverviewDeputy to the Finance Manager – Grants, responsible for overseeing and monitoring the budgets and expenses of CIFOR-ICRAF, Africa Hub. Assign new projects to the Senior Finance and Finance Officers and maintain/update the list of project assignments. Coordinate and supervise the preparation of budgets for restricted projects for inclusion in the Annual Programme of Work and Budget in CIFOR-ICRAF, Africa Hub.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Oversee the monitoring of Budget and Actual
Expenses of restricted grants in the CIFOR-ICRAF, Africa Hub
· A complete record of all pertinent documents
of each project, coordinate with the senior finance officers and various
project leaders to ensure that the financial implementation adheres with all
the other aspects of the project agreement.
· Coordinate with donors, collaborators, project
leaders and scientists to clarify financial issues.
· Ensure finance officers have answered queries
and give update on the financial and budget status of projects assigned.
· Review financial status of the project
prepared by the Senior Accountant and finance officers.
· Review and verify expenditures of restricted
projects assigned to ensure adherence to budgetary and donor requirements.
· Liaise with the Program Management Unit (PMU) regarding
the development of Letter of Agreement (LoA) with partner Institutions, project
start-ups and set ups in Mytree and OCS, budget update and management in OCS
and project tracking & closures.
2. Annual Budget and rolling budget updates
· Collaborate with PMU regarding staff time
allocation updated in OCS planner.
· Collaborate with PMU on budgets for
partnerships, travel, supplies, consultants, publications, and other costs
based on the availability of funds of on-going restricted projects.
· Review the overall annual budgets once posted
in OCS by PMU of grants in CIFOR-ICRAF, Africa Hub.
3. Donor Reporting
· Approve reports for signature on the specific
projects’ finances to donors and other users in compliance with Center
standards and as specifically pre-determined by the donor as mentioned on the
signed Grant Agreements and Donor’s General Conditions.
· Review the donor financial reports prepared by
the Senior Accountant.
· Ensure that reports to donors are submitted on
time and maintain the KPI for CIFOR-ICRAF, Africa Hub.
· Ensure final financial reports and workings
are submitted in MyTree system.
· Monitor restricted grant financial management
support to CIFOR-ICRAF, Africa Hub by the senior finance and finance officers.
Grant Proposal Budgets and revised Budgets for On-going Projects
· Key resource for project proposal/budget
preparation regarding compliance issues for prospective sources of funding
· Review and approve revised budget for on-going
projects prepared by the Senior finance and finance officers.
· Ensure that the grants recover full overheads
as per relevant cost structure
· Provide guidance and ensure the budget figures
are correct and the budget lines follow the donor requirements
5. Grant Agreements
· Review the financial part and other relevant
information of the new Grant Agreements and Grant agreement amendments of CIFOR-ICRAF,
· Collaborate with PMU on the update of the 3
years staff time plan on quarterly basis or as necessary.
· Ensure that the monthly summary of restricted
projects with multi-year budgets and cumulative expenses is updated.
· Prepare and review the monthly summary of cash
flow (projected incoming and expenses of restricted project) to be used by the
Head of Treasury and Fixed Assets.
Audit of Restricted Projects
· Coordinate and attend entry and exit meetings
on audit of projects for grants in Africa hub for CIFOR-ICRAF.
· Key resource on queries from the external
auditors on restricted grants for Africa Hub for CIFOR -ICRAF.
· Review the draft audit report and provide
draft management responses on CIFOR-ICRAF, Africa Hub.
· Review partner audit report in relation to
· Assist in the preparation of restricted grants
schedules and information requested and required for the annual statutory audit
· Assist in Finance Audit findings updates for
Africa Hub and follow-up with respective staff to ensure they are closed.
· Prepare the monthly summary of staff time for
· Monitor and ensure that staff time are in
accordance with the budget and the time sheets are recorded/adjusted
· Review and verify time system for use in
monthly staff costs. Assist with follow
up time sheet issues with staff from the finance officers
and Monthly Operations
· Verify and approve the journal vouchers
prepared by the Senior Finance officers.
· Monitor donor receivables and payables. Assist in ensuring that receivables are
collected. Review donor payables remind
project leaders if there is slow spending. Provide explanation on the monthly summary of donor receivables and
payables >USD 50K, prepared by Treasury team.
· Assist and ensure incoming funds from
restricted donors are identified and code provided to the Head of Treasury and
10. Restricted Grants Partners Financial
· Implement partner financial monitoring tools
and mechanisms. Advice on where improvements can be done.
· Supervise financial compliance for all restricted
grants partners of assigned grants and ensure partners spend within their
budgets and are following the laid down donor and/or CIFOR-ICRAF financial
procedures and regulations.
· Ensure and follow up on financial reporting
for partners on assigned restricted grants
· Analyze restricted grants partner expenses and
provide feedback of analysis to the project leaders and managers on expenditure
trends and areas with significant over or under spending
· Communicate with partners assigned on areas of
weaknesses and steps to take to mitigate the risks and internal control issues
· University education in accounting with at
least 7 years of relevant experience
· Experience in financial and accounting
· Experience in project or cost accounting
· Fluent in written and spoken English
· Experience with an ERP, familiarity with
Agresso Unit 4 and Vision XL is an advantage
· Strong computer skills in word processing,
database and other relevant office applications.
· Strong analytical and supervisory skills
· Competent in personal organization and
priority setting, with the ability to work efficiently under time pressure and
manage multiple priorities.
· Has initiative and capable of working
independently as well as an effective team player.
· Good interpersonal and communication skills,
with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary
and multi-cultural environment.
· Experience working with a wide and diverse
network of groups and individuals.
· Able to work with minimum supervision
Education, knowledge and experience
- Masters degree in accounting with at least 7 years of relevant experience. CPA K
Personal attributes and competencies
- Experience in financial and accounting services
- Experience in project or cost accounting
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Experience with an ERP, familiarity with Agresso Unit 4 and Vision XL is an advantage
- Strong computer skills in word processing, database and other relevant office applications.
- Strong analytical and supervisory skills
- Competent in personal organization and priority setting, with the ability to work efficiently under time pressure and manage multiple priorities.
- Has initiative and capable of working independently as well as an effective team player.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
- Experience working with a wide and diverse network of groups and individuals.
- Able to work with minimum supervision
Terms and conditions
- This is a Locally Recruited position. The initial appointment will be for two (2) years, inclusive of a six-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
Application processThe application deadline is 12 Dec-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
Bioinformatic and Software Developer (Local Position)
Senior Market Intelligence Specialist (Local Position)
Senior Research Analyst (Local Position)
GLF Youth Program Officer (Consultancy)
Home-based, preferably in CEST time zone
Resource Mobilization Coordinator (Global Position)
Nairobi, Kenya (preference); or Abidjan, Ivory Coast; or Yaoundé, Cameroon
Social and Behavioral Change Technical Advisor Wild Meat Disease Risk Reduction Consultant (Consultancy)
Negotiable, preferably candidate who can work from any location in Cameroon.
Legal Associate- Kenya (Local Position)