Job status: In-progress
Job category: Internship
Duty station: ILRI Ouagadougou, with travels to Kaya
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Master of Science (MSc) student Poultry Vaccine Supply Chain Intern
Poultry disease in Burkina Faso can negatively affect human health and constrains the productivity of the poultry market. By developing interventions that improve farm and market practices, provide education and training, and test business models that can enhance value chain linkages, the poultry sector can become safer and more productive. The overarching goal of this project is to enhance household food security and safety and improve the livelihoods of poultry smallholder producers by reducing economic losses and zoonotic risks along the value chain, by developing culturally and economically appropriate, gender-sensitive One Health interventions at the producer level, resulting in reduced flock mortality, pathogen occurrence, and human health risks.
The project seeks to recruit an MSc student to study the poultry vaccine supply chain in Burkina Faso and how it affects performance of vaccination strategies.
CIFOR-ICRAF, acting on behalf of ILRI in Burkina Faso, is seeking to recruit a qualified Master of Science student as specified below.
Duties and responsibilities
The student will
work with the project team to carry out field work along the vaccine supply
chain (from Ouagadougou to Kaya). S/He will carry out a desk review, collect
data from vaccine supply actors using a key informant interview check list, and
carry out interviews with men and women farmers.
Education, knowledge and experience
- Active MSc student in veterinary science, agriculture, social sciences or economics; or “ingénieur” in agriculture, livestock, animal production desk course and ready to start research in the field
- Working knowledge of English and French
Personal attributes and competencies
- Ability to meet set goals consistently, while remaining focused and goal oriented
- Ability to communicate in a major local language will be an asset
- Application of ethics, principles, standards and expertise in all areas of work
- Ability to work and relate to others in mutual support and respect towards common goals and a shared vision, building and nurturing strong and authentic reciprocal relationships
- An ability to work effectively, respectfully and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives is critical for all staff members
- Ability to work in basic field conditions
- Competency in personal organization and priority setting with the ability to work effectively under time pressure and manage multiple priorities
Terms and conditions
- This is for a 9-month paid internship starting as soon as possible.
- CIFOR’s employment conditions follow local labor laws and regulations. CIFOR will employ suitable candidates regardless of nationality, provided that they comply with the local requirements for working at the location chosen for their home base, and that these terms and conditions are not against local labor laws and regulations.
- Period of the internship is expected to be 1st February 2023 to 30th September2023
- Work locations: ILRI Ouagadougou, with travels to Kaya To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careers and https://www.worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org CIFOR-ICRAF promotes Gender Diversity – Applications from women professionals are encouraged. CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Dec-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Gender and Social Inclusion Coordinator (Local Position)
New Delhi, India
GLF Sustainable Finance Intern (Internship)
Remotely, in Europe time zone (Home-based)
Admin Support Consultant (Consultancy)
Remote (home-based), preferably Bogor
Regional Communication Coordinator - ICRISAT (Local Position)
Office Assistant (Local Position)
Two Consultants (Research Associates) – To work on Forestry/Agroforestry and Tress Outside Forests Policy Analysis (Consultancy)
New Delhi, India
Temporary Training Officer, Nairobi (Local Position)
Project Administrator - Kenya (Local Position)
Junior Scientist (Global Position)
Administrative and Finance Officer (Local Position)
Senior Field Technician Rwanda – AFDB Project (Local Position)