Job status: In-progress
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: Kigali, Rwanda
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Senior Field Technician Rwanda – AFDB Project
OverviewThe Senior Field Technician will implement work for trees for landscape restoration project in Kayonza and Nyagatare districts in Rwanda.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Conduct farmer
mobilization and recruitment to participate in seedling production, and
agroforestry/tree planting work to achieve set targets
- Recruit lead farmers,
liaise with extension staff and engage other project participants.
- Initiate and supervise
diverse tree seedling production work in collaboration with local tree
nurseries per set targets.
- Organize training on
tree nurseries, seedlings production & care, tree planting& management,
smart and conservation agriculture practices and gender main streaming and
2. Conduct seedlings
distribution and planting activities across farmer fields.
- By following up and
collecting field data on tree seedling establishment: survival, growth
performance, and gapping measures.
- Supporting overall
project field implementation work, data collection, field visits, supplies
requisition, meetings, reviews, and monitoring surveys.
- Preparation of
detailed monthly work reports.
3. Promotion of high
value drought-tolerant crops
- By conducting
procurement processes for crop seeds (legumes crops, pineapple, cucurbits,
- Identification of
farmers who will plant the crops.
- Data collection on planted
4. Project monitoring,
data collection and back stopping
- Disseminate project
information and technical bulletins.
- Attend collaborators
meeting in consultation with supervisors.
- Disseminate project
information across implementation sites.
Education, knowledge and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in either agroforestry, forestry, natural resource management, horticulture related fields.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Kinyarwanda.
- At least 5 years hands-on field experience in implementing large agroforestry or forestry projects with data gathering requirements.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Self-driven and impressive capacity to implement workplans under minimum supervision.
- Excellent community mobilization skills and rapport
- Ability to communicate effectively, work under pressure and within tight schedules to meet ambitious tree planting targets.
- Flexibility and willingness to work for long period within rural set ups of Kirehe, Kayonza, Gatsibo and Nyagatare districts.
- Ability to communicate effectively, work under pressure and within tight schedules to meet ambitious tree planting targets,
Terms and conditions
- This is a Nationally Recruited position. CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency commensurate with skills and experience.
Application processThe application deadline is 01 Dec-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Gender and Social Inclusion Coordinator (Local Position)
New Delhi, India
GLF Sustainable Finance Intern (Internship)
Remotely, in Europe time zone (Home-based)
Admin Support Consultant (Consultancy)
Remote (home-based), preferably Bogor
Regional Communication Coordinator - ICRISAT (Local Position)
Office Assistant (Local Position)
Two Consultants (Research Associates) – To work on Forestry/Agroforestry and Tress Outside Forests Policy Analysis (Consultancy)
New Delhi, India
Temporary Training Officer, Nairobi (Local Position)
Project Administrator - Kenya (Local Position)
Junior Scientist (Global Position)
Administrative and Finance Officer (Local Position)
Master of Science (MSc) student Poultry Vaccine Supply Chain Intern (Internship)
ILRI Ouagadougou, with travels to Kaya