Job status: Inactive
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: Palembang, Indonesia
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
South Sumatra Peat Landscape Facilitator
ICRAF Indonesia Country Programme, through the Peat-IMPACTS Indonesia project, is currently implementing a four-year project in South Sumatra and West Kalimantan to support the provincial and district governments in piloting a sustainable livelihood solution in the peat ecosystem. The project aims to provide evidence-based peatland management and restoration plans of Peat Hydrological Units Saleh-Sugihan and Sugihan-Sungai Lumpur (Ogan Komering Ilir/OKI District, South Sumatera Province) and Sungai Kapuas–Sungai Simpang Kanan and Sungai Kapuas-Sungai Durian (Kubu Raya Districts, West Kalimantan Province).
As the following-up activities phase of Peat-IMPACTS’s implementation, the project will conduct intensive fieldwork in OKI and Banyuasin District to support the engagement process with stakeholders/key government. The position will also support participatory processes, implementing and landscape restoration monitoring, and field data collection for Work Package II and Work Package IV of Peat-IMPACTS Indonesia.
Duties and responsibilities
WP-2 of Peat-IMPACTS Indonesia
- Will support the development of
policy related to sustainable forest management and land restoration by
incorporating the data, analysis and agreed commitment among stakeholders have
been conducted at the landscape level.
- In collaboration with spatial
planning, activities need to support primary and secondary data collection,
interviews, and group discussion.
WP-4 of Peat-IMPACTS Indonesia
- Support in engagement process with
key government officials in OKI and Banyuasin District, including its Forest
Management Unit (FMU), regarding primary and secondary data collection,
interview, and group discussion.
- Support conducting field data
collection for Work Package II and Work Package IV of Peat IMPACTS.
- Support in conducting other tasks
related to local government engagement under Peat IMPACTS or other relevant
ICRAF projects – RPPEG document and RAD KSB document.
- Support in organizing workshops,
seminars, FGD related but not limited to natural resource management in South
- Support in developing a report for
field data collection and stakeholder engagement.
- Coordinate closely with WP.4 Team
WP 0 of Peat-IMPACTS Indonesia
- Collaboration with administration
and finance support to manage reports and activity to address.
- Coordinate closely with ICRAF
Indonesia Team in Bogor.
Education, knowledge and experience
- A minimum degree of a BSc in agriculture, forestry, rural development and/or other related fields
- Have a good representation and reputation to local stakeholders
- Good analytical skills to support research works
- Good knowledge of South Sumatra and its local customs
- Able to provide succinct field reports and produce communication products targeting local community
- Minimum (3 years) of a successful work experience record in the subject area related to the rural development, agriculture, and forestry fields
- Less than 1 years of a successful work experience record in the subject area (s) related to research data collection and fieldwork
Personal attributes and competencies
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, or any office application).
- GIS analysis will be additional point
- Basic administrative and documentation skills.
- Strong character, a multitasking person who can work under pressure.
- Well organized; able to meet deadlines, a good understanding of time management.
- Proactive and self-motivated, able to work independently as well as in a team.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work well in multi-cultural teams.
- Good knowledge of communication (Indonesian and English).
- Willing to learn new skills/knowledge related to the scope/content of the specific projects.
- Generates creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations.
- Willing to receive feedback from others.
- Has a vision to develop the organization and an intention of continuous improvement.
Terms and conditions
- This is a Locally Recruited position. CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for 1 (one) year, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be based in Palembang, South Sumatera, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careers and https://www.worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf
To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org
CIFOR-ICRAF promotes Gender Diversity – Applications from women professionals are encouraged.
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
Application processThe application deadline is 16 Aug-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
CIFOR-ICRAF Chief Executive Officer (Global Position)
Kenya or Indonesia
GLF Social Media Specialist (Local Position)
Agriculture, Forestry and Agroforestry Extension Research Officer (Local Position)