Job status: Inactive
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: Bogor, Indonesia
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Agriculture, Forestry and Agroforestry Extension Research Officer
The position will lead the development of extension strategy, curricula and materials on sustainable agriculture, forestry and agroforestry in Indonesian contexts. Together with agroforestry system and extension scientist, the research officer will conduct research to support the development of an effective extension strategy on sustainable agriculture, forestry and agroforestry. The position will support all projects in CIFOR-ICRAF Indonesia related to stakeholders’ capacity building on sustainable practices in agriculture, forestry, and agroforestry at the plot level.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Research, reporting and scientific
- Develop extension curricula and strategy
on agriculture, forestry and agroforestry rural advisory service through
Participatory Action Research approach.
- Develop extension materials on
sustainable agriculture, forestry and agroforestry for farmers in printed and
- Contribute to research on
developing effective extension strategy on sustainable agriculture, forestry
and agroforestry practices.
- Develop partnerships on
agriculture, forestry and agroforestry rural advisory services with multiple
stakeholders (government, private sectors, research agencies, communities,
- Lead author and co-authors
article, scientific article and report, either as individuals or as a team with
teammates, supervisors and other authors in the projects involved.
- Attend meeting, seminar, and event
to represent ICRAF and maintain communication with collaborators and partners.
2. Project management
- Lead (including planning,
coordination and budgeting) the implementation of sub-component in projects.
- Maintain communication with
project partners and key stakeholders.
- Supervised students, enumerators,
extension agents in conducting research.
Education, knowledge and experience
- Have an academic background in agriculture, forestry, livestock management, or farming system management.
- Have a minimum of 10 years of experiences in working on enhancing farmers capacities on agriculture, forestry and agroforestry issues.
- Familiar with producing extension curricula and materials (printed and video versions)
- Familiar with agroforestry technologies such as nursery management, organic fertilizer production, soil conservation techniques, regulating spacing between trees.
- Have capacities to manage a team in disseminating information on agriculture, forestry and agroforestry sustainable practices.
- Have experience working with farmers in multiple sites/provinces
Personal attributes and competencies
- Have strong enthusiasm for activities related to farmers capacity building.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work well in multi-cultural teams.
- Good knowledge of communication (Indonesian).
- Proactive and self-motivated, able to work independently as well as in a team.
- Generates creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations.
- Strong character, multitasking person who able to work under pressure.
- Well organized; able to meet deadlines, good understanding of time management.
- Willing to learn new skills/knowledge related to the scope/content of the specific projects.
- Willing to receive feedback from others.
- Has a vision to develop the organization and an intention of continuous improvement.
Terms and conditions
- This is a Locally Recruited position. CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for 1 (one) year, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be based in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careers and https://www.worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf
To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org
CIFOR-ICRAF promotes Gender Diversity – Applications from women professionals are encouraged.
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
Application processThe application deadline is 16 Aug-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
CIFOR-ICRAF Chief Executive Officer (Global Position)
Kenya or Indonesia
GLF Social Media Specialist (Local Position)
Agriculture, Forestry and Agroforestry Extension Research Officer (Local Position)