Job status: In-progress
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: Home-based, Germany
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
GLF Program Manager – Communities & Action
The Program Manager – Communities & Action oversees the GLFx and GLF Youth team to ensure the successful design, planning and delivery of community-led programs and activities toward the achievement of donors’ deliverables and long-term GLF objectives. The Program Manager will provide strategic direction and oversight to ensure the expansion, delivery, and visibility of the GLFx and Youth in Landscapes Initiatives while ensuring broader alignment across GLF teams, goals and strategy.
The Program Manager will play a critical role in providing oversight particularly in the strategic development and growth of the GLFx initiative and relevant programs, as GLF Chapters, Restoration Stewards and CoP, targeted to enabling local actors. Considering the ambitious objectives of the GLFx innovation and its nascent stage, the Program Manager will ensure internal alignment on key strategic questions, both within the GLFx team and across the wider organization and innovations, with the objective of identifying clear processes and approaches for program growth. At the same time, the Program Manager will provide guidance on strategic partnerships and collaborations, for facilitating action on the ground, with supporting organizations and charter members. The Program Manager will also oversee the GLF youth program, ensuring its continuous growth and evolution as well as the development and agreement on a new MoU with the Youth in Landscapes Initiative.
Duties and responsibilities
- An agreed-upon scaling strategy,
program document, and reporting processes, with the GLFx and youth teams, developed in coordination with the GLF Deputy
Director, GLF Digital and Communications Hub Manager, GLF Senior Knowledge
Manager and Regional Hub Managers.
- Identify short, medium, and
long-term strategies and frameworks for growing the action on the ground body
of the GLF, with a strong focus on LAC, Africa, and Asia Pacific, enabling the
GLFx and youth team to achieve donors’ deliverables and GLF Strategic goals.
- Prominent visibility and
integration of the GLFx and youth programs across all GLF channels, events, and
activities, developed in coordination with the Digital Communications Manager,
and GLF event teams.
- Strong proof of concept for GLF
supporting local action developed and refined through clear learning questions
and the testing of innovative ideas from capacity development to fundraising
- Oversee the development of
proposals, reports, and fundraising efforts in coordination with the Partner
Engagement Coordinator, GLFx and youth teams to develop realistic yet ambitious
- Develop, lead and maintain
relationships with both new and existing partners and donors to ensure the GLFx
and youth programs are recognized, amplified and supported by the GLF broader
- Connect and collaborate with
CIFOR-ICRAF, Charter Members, and other global initiatives to strengthen the
- Oversee the GLFx and GLF youth
team, ensuring they are results-oriented, properly resourced, and adequately
connected with the broader GLF team, with a strong focus on Restoration
Stewards and GLF chapters.
- Oversee the GLFx team, advising on
solutions and ensuring that processes, targets and activities are aligned with
the overall GLF strategy, including but not limited to GLF chapter growth,
fundraising and fund distribution, and GLFx platform management.
- Oversee GLF’s activities and
initiatives to support local actors, ensuring efficient, sustainable processes,
and ensure internal alignment with other innovations, with a strong focus on
learning, sustainable finance, and regional programs, towards the achievement
- Ensure strong coordination between
GLFx, youth, and the communication team to create a clear action narrative and
campaign for GLF’s audience.
- Oversee an annual budget of EURO 500,000 Ca guiding the GLFx
and youth teams toward meaningful and objective-based expenses.
- Guide the recruitment and
management of GLFx and GLF youth teams individuals, ensuring creative,
high-performing, and positive team environments.
- Provide regular feedback to the
GLFx and youth teams
Education, knowledge and experience
- Advanced degree with at least 3 years of experience, preferably in disciplines that are relevant to one or more of the GLF themes and sustainable development goals;
- Ability to produce high quality written content;
- Good understanding of international development and/or environment policy processes;
- Proven experience in planning, implementing and evaluating complex projects;
- Proven experience in managing a global team and budget;
- Proven experience in working in participatory and bottom-up processes, including in youth or community-led program development
- Proven experience in supporting networks and communities growth;
- Fluency in English is essential.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Self-motivated, resourceful and energetic;
- Able to find creative solutions;
- Able to strategize at both macro and micro levels;
- A team player with outstanding interpersonal and intercultural communications skills;
- Outstanding diplomatic and negotiation skills;
- Proven ability to work well under pressure is key.
Terms and conditions
- This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) position. CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency, commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for 1 (one) year, inclusive of a six-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be in Home-based.
CIFOR-ICRAF promotes Gender Diversity – Applications from women professionals are encouraged.
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
Application processThe application deadline is 18 Aug-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
GLFx Digital & Community Support Intern (Internship)
Home-based, preferably in CEST time zone or similar
CIFOR-ICRAF Chief Executive Officer (Global Position)
Kenya or Indonesia
Consultant – GLFx Coordinator (Consultancy)
Nairobi, Kenya or Remotely
Accountant Treasury and Fixed Assets (Local Position)
Post-Doctoral Fellow, Development of Decision Support System for Mangrove Conservation and Rehabilitation (Post Doctoral Fellow)
Senior Research and Data Analyst (Local Position)
CIFOR Headquarters, Bogor, Indonesia, or ICRAF Headquarters, Nairobi, Kenya
Video Editor and Cameraman Consultant (Consultancy)
Bogor or any other city in Indonesia