Job status: In-progress
Job category: Internship
Duty station: Home-based, preferably in CEST time zone or similar
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
GLFx Digital & Community Support Intern
The Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) was first launched in 2013 by CIFOR with core partners including UNEP, the World Bank, and the Government of Germany. Meaningful engagement of youth and other typically marginalized stakeholders was a cornerstone of GLF’s operation from the beginning.
Today, the GLF is the world’s largest knowledge-led platform on sustainable land use, dedicated to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and Paris Climate Agreement. Building on a decade of successful conferencing during which we achieved the mainstreaming of the landscape approach the GLF has evolved to five innovation areas each set up to contribute to strengthening and enabling decentralized local action towards ecosystem restoration.
These include: 1) Creating a Digital Knowledge Commons (having reached a billion people in 185 countries); 2) Pioneering Youth Leadership (60,000, 160 countries); 3) GLF Learning Program (Landscape Academy (18,000 learners); 4) GLF Investment Case, sustainable finance, and value chains, and 5) GLFx and GLF Communities of Practice. GLFx, is our program to decentralize the Forum to create community led GLF chapters, and communities of practice, that are designed to carry out restoration and other activities (including advocacy) on the ground while creating a learning hub at the national and subnational level.
GLF is supported by its Charter Members, 33 leading sustainable development organisations who invest in and co-create activities on the GLF platform and offer opportunities for intergenerational learning and exchange.
GLF is a place where a farmer can inform action, pathways, and policies; where international organizations can learn from the private sector and vice versa; and where CEOs, community leaders, communicators and scientists can share, learn, connect, and act together.
From building the investment case for sustainable landscapes, to conserving and restoring peatlands, to supporting restoration in Africa, GLF has been at the cutting edge in hosting and facilitating all manner of discussions to accelerate positive action for people, for the environment, and for the achievement of global climate and SDGs.
Duties and responsibilities
primary objective of the GLFx & Community Support intern is to assist the
GLFx team in ensuring the GLFx platform is effectively working and serving the
community, engaging members within the platform keeping it up to date and
interactive, and supporting with communication in the platform both in English
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Provide general technical support in the management of
the GLFx Platform
- Support in collating technical-related issues of the
GLFx Platform and connect with the GLF digital team to follow up.
- Support in developing and sharing community engagement
resources to GLFx Platform members and GLFx administrators
- Create content for and manage the GLFx Team Platform
profile, Sharing community engagement resources, writing posts that foster
interactivity, and answer any questions on the platformusing this profile
- Assist in developing feedback forms for the GLFx
- Connect with the broader GLF team to ensure the
platfrom can be used for engagement before, during and after events
- Engage the community on the platform both in English
and French, and provide English-French/French-English translation support as
- Support with any other platform members & general
platform-related tasks as they rise.
Education, knowledge and experience
- Currently enrolled or recently graduated in a M.Sc. on Sustainable Development, Communications or similar fields. Alternatively, graduated in a B.Sc. with 1 years’ experience (volunteer or not) in communications, engagement, content creation and digital communications.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Experience with creating original material and content for social media and running social media campaigns is an asset
- Experience with online engagement, capacity development, or event-management is an asset.
- Experienced and/or comfortable with remote work
- Fluency in French and English is required
- Must be under the age of 35
Personal attributes and competencies
- Creative and passionate about changing the world
- Be self-motivated, resourceful and energetic
- Be pro-active and autonomous
- Be able to find creative solutions
- Value attention to detail
- Be a team player with great interpersonal communications skills
- Have a proven ability to work well under pressure.
- Based in CEST time zone is an asset.
Terms and conditions
- This is a full-time internship opportunity.
- CIFOR’s employment conditions follow local labor laws and regulations. CIFOR will employ suitable candidates regardless of nationality, provided that they comply with the local requirements for working at the location chosen for their home base, and that these terms and conditions are not against local labor laws and regulations.
- Period of the internship is expected to be September 2022 – February 2023.
- Work locations: home-based, preferably in CEST time zone or similar.
To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careers and https://www.worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf
To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org
CIFOR-ICRAF promotes Gender Diversity – Applications from women professionals are encouraged.
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Aug-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Post Doctoral Fellow)
Consultant For a Review on Rights-Based Approaches in Climate Change, Conservation, and Development Initiatives (Consultancy)
Research Assistant - International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) (Local Position)
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso