Job status: In-progress
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: New Delhi, India
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Deputy Chief of Party
CIFOR-ICRAF is currently seeking to fill several positions in CIFOR-ICRAF India for Trees Outside Forest in India (TOFI) program. The USAID funded TOFI Program will run for five years – November 1, 2021, to October 31, 2026) in Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Haryana, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh. The initial appointment will be for a period of one year with a probation period of 3 months for Local Positions. Contracts will be renewed every year during the 5 years’ duration of TOFI, based on performance, timely delivery, and continued relevance for the position. All these positions will be under CIFOR-ICRAF umbrella, and while contributing to TOFI’s implementation; hired staff will also be actively engaged in overall CIFOR-ICRAF program in India. The positions may continue beyond TOFI subjected to availability of placement and funding.
• Job Category: Locally Recruited Position, • Remuneration package: Compensation will be based on suitability, experience, and qualifications within CIFOR- ICRAF policies • Duty station: New Delhi (Non-negotiable), with frequent travels within India
The successful applicant will be based in New Delhi, India and will report to TOFI’s Chief of Party, CIFOR-ICRAF. As a key member of TOFI’s Senior Program Leadership Team (SPLT), the incumbent will be responsible for overseeing and coordinating the state-level delivery of TOFI’s Program Delivery Model (PDM), including supervision of State Coordinators to do the same while also deputizing and supporting the CoP in overall program management.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure appropriate
development and implementation of annual state-level work plans, including
reporting on their progress and supporting state teams (including Innovation
Platforms) to overcome operational bottlenecks.
- Oversee deployment of the
multi-partner Technical Support Group (TSG) to the partnering states, ensuring
their Support and Quality Review Missions (SQRMs) of target areas critical for
enhancing state-level performance and addressing state-specific issues.
- Support the Chief of Party (CoP)
to lead the program team in its technical and operational aspects, including
planning and program implementation.
- Support CoP to ensure convergence
and leverage as per grant agreement.
- Liaise with national state government
institutions, civil society and private sector partners to capitalize on
opportunities and overcome challenges affecting program delivery.
- Hold frequent meetings with
state teams to keep abreast of program progress and provide operational guidance
- Work with COP on the
development of the annual implementation plan, budgets, reports, and other
- Attend to any other work assigned
Education, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of Master’s degree in forestry, environmental sciences, agriculture, rural development, preferably with focus on tree based systems, and relevant subjects.
- A minimum of 10 years’ working experience of development programming with a minimum of 5 years’ experience of senior program/large project management, experience in USAID-related project is a strong advantage.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal communication with good presentation skills.
- Substantive understanding of and experience working in India’s rural context in general and its agricultural and/or forestry sectors in particular, with experience in one or more of the program’s targeted states being a strong advantage.
- Experience of coordination with national programs, state Governments, development agencies, large NGOs/INGOs, private sector and other players in the area of agroforestry/ trees outside forests.
- Experience of working with CGIAR or other international agencies.
- Experience of managing/assisting to manage large multi-disciplinary teams, private and public sector partners, Government departments and State Governments.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Demonstrated ability to work in challenging environments and with multi-cultural teams.
Terms and conditions
- This is a Locally/Nationally Recruited Staff (LRS) position.
- Duration of the contract: One-year renewable contingent upon availability of funds, continued relevance of position and performance of the incumbent.
- CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency commensurate with skills and experience.
- CIFOR-ICRAF reserves the right to modify the number of positions, locations, timeline or cancel the hiring as necessary.
- Based on the performance/ competencies and needs, hired staff may be relocated to other project locations upon mutual consent.
To apply, please visit our career sites at: http://www.cifor.org/careers and https://www.worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf
To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org
CIFOR-ICRAF promotes Gender Diversity – Applications from women professionals are encouraged.
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Jun-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
GLF Events Project Officer (Consultancy)
home-based (with ability to work in the Europe time zone)
Landscape News Assistant (Consultancy)
Science Writers (Consultancy)
GLF Youth Coordinator (Consultancy)
Internal Audit Internship (Internship)
New Delhi, India
Remote Sensing Specialist (Local Position)
Research Officer (Local Position)
GLF Youth in Landscapes Network Intern (Internship)
Home-based, preferably in CET time zone or similar
Senior Accountant - Grants (Local Position)
GLFx Consultant for Latin America and the Caribbean (Consultancy)
Home-based, preferably in Latin America and Caribbean time zones
Consultant for Baseline Assessment of the Policy Environment and Investment Landscape in Relation to Trees Outside Forests (Consultancy)
Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Haryana, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh