Job status: Inactive
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: Palembang, South Sumatra, Indonesia
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
South Sumatra Farmer Extensionist (2 Position)
Indonesia Country Programme is currently implementing a five-year project entitled Sustainable Landscapes for Climate-Resilient Livelihoods in Indonesia (Land4Lives). The Project is funded by Global Affair Canada (GAC). The Project aims to increase Indonesia's economic and climate-resilience livelihoods and food security for poor and vulnerable groups, particularly women and girls. Land4Lives will be implemented in South Sumatra, South Sulawesi, and East Nusa Tenggara.
The position will be responsible to Support the implementation of field processes related to technical consultation, farmer field school and on farm demonstration plot activities promoting the adoption of climate smart agricultural and agroforestry to enhance the quality and quantity of commodity production for income generation and household use, including the development of kitchen garden to address issues of food security and nutrition and surveys on food and nutrition.
Duties and responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the
Agroforestry Systems Tree Officer and Agriculture/Field Officer, implement
field activities to achieve the targets of the Outputs under Immediate Outcome
1320 Improved Agricultural and Landscape Management, including planning and
implementation of training, field consultation, farmer field schools, baseline
data collection, on-farm demonstration trial establishment, data collection (management and storage) and
reporting, and putting all the data collected into one database.
- Under the supervision of the
Agroforestry Systems Tree Officer, Agriculture/Field Officer, and Senior
Ecological Modeller implement field activities to achieve the targets under
Output 1331 regarding support of food security and nutrition surveys and Output
1332 regarding technical consultation and kitchen garden establishment for food
security and nutrition.
- Support the WP3 Leader and
Agroforestry Systems Scientist regarding the establishment and management of
climate-smart agriculture and agroforestry research trials and activities.
- Support the Agroforestry
Systems Specialist and Provincial Coordinator maintain and strengthen
partnerships with stakeholders at the village to district level, including
farmers, communities, government agencies, the private sector and other
Education, knowledge and experience
- Minimum Diploma in Agriculture or any related field
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in related fields
- Experience in: tree nursery development and management; agroforestry system management; working with communities in the project location; conducting trainings, surveys, and interviews; producing technical documents and training material on agroforestry related topics for farmers; and documenting and reporting activities.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Technology transfer and communication
- Farmer and farmer group liaison
- Field reporting Proactive and self-motivated, able to work independently as well as in a team.
Terms and conditions
- This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) position. CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency, commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for 1 (one) year, inclusive of a three-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be in Palembang, South Sumatra, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careers
To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence
Application processThe application deadline is 10 Jun-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Post Doctoral Fellow)
Consultant For a Review on Rights-Based Approaches in Climate Change, Conservation, and Development Initiatives (Consultancy)
GLFx Digital & Community Support Intern (Internship)
Home-based, preferably in CEST time zone or similar
Research Assistant - International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) (Local Position)
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso