Job status: Inactive
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
East Nusa Tenggara Agroforestry Tree Officer
Indonesia Country Programme is currently implementing a five-year project entitled Sustainable Landscapes for Climate-Resilient Livelihoods in Indonesia (Land4Lives). The Project is funded by Global Affair Canada (GAC). The Project aims to increase Indonesia's economic and climate-resilience livelihoods and food security for poor and vulnerable groups, particularly women and girls. Land4Lives will be implemented in South Sumatra, South Sulawesi, and East Nusa Tenggara.
The position will be responsible to lead the implementation of field team to achieve farmer group capacity development; liaise with land managers (primarily smallholder farmers) in adopting climate smart agricultural and agroforestry into current practice to enhance the quality and quantity of commodity production for income generation and household use, including the development of kitchen garden to address issues of food security and nutrition; facilitate development of landscape restoration action plan; and build good communication with local farmers to design participatory climate-smart agricultural and agroforestry plans.
Duties and responsibilities
Under Work Package (WP) 2 (30%)
development of landscape restoration and water resources and watershed
management action plan at the landscape and sub-landscape levels:
- Conduct series of focus group
discussions (FGD), key Informant interview and literature review to develop
agroforestry system options (i.e. considering trees with less use of water) for
restoration plan and watershed management at the landscape and sub-landscape
- Support in identification of
option for water use efficiency.
- Support in the facilitating land
manager in establishment business model and business plan through outcome
mapping and series of FGDs.
Under Work Package (WP) 3 (70%)
- Facilitate the development and
adoption of climate-smart agriculture and agroforestry practices (including
tree nursery and kitchen gardens) to enhance commodity production for income
generation and household use (including food security and nutrition).
- Lead the planning and implement of
field operations to achieve the targets of the Outputs under Immediate Outcome
1320 Improved Agricultural and Landscape Management, including planning and
implementation of training, field consultation, on farm demonstration trial
establishment, data collection (management and storage) and reporting.
- Supervise and monitor, in
collaboration with the Senior Ecological Modeller, the Agricultural Field
Officer and Farmer Extensionists in implementing project activities to achieve
the targets of the Outputs under Immediate Outcome 1320 Improved Agricultural
and Landscape Management, Output 1331 regarding support of food security and
nutrition surveys, and Output 1332 regarding technical consultation and kitchen
garden establishment for food security and nutrition.
- Support the WP3 Leader and
Agroforestry Systems Scientist in planning, establishment and management of
climate-smart agriculture and agroforestry research trials and activities.
- Support the Provincial
Coordinator, WP3 Leader, WP 2 Leader, Co-Management and Restoration Specialist,
and Agricultural/Agronomy Specialist in implement project activities to achieve
targets of the Output 1323 regarding the co-management of forest, peat, and
- Support the Enterprise Development
Facilitator, Market and Enterprise Specialist and relevant colleagues and
partners in implementing activities to achieve the targets of the Outputs under
Immediate Outcome 1310 Financial Innovations, Markets, and Value Chains.
Education, knowledge and experience
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Natural Resource Management, Agriculture or any related field
- Minimum 5 (five) years of a successful work experience record in the subject area (s) related to project management & implementation.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplined team environment, while functioning as an individual contributor.
- Proficiency with commonly used word processing and calculation software.
- Proficiency in English communication (verbal and written) good working knowledge of English in the areas of his/her professional expertise; good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to plan and prioritize workload and strong monitoring and reporting skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Field coordination and leadership skill
- capacity building and field research skill
- community and partner facilitation skill
- reporting and communication skill
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, or any office application).
- Good administrative and documentation skills.
- Proficiency in English communication (verbal and written), good working knowledge of English in the areas of his/her professional expertise.
- Good networking skills and knowledge on local and national NGOs in Indonesia.
- Strong character, multitasking person who is able to work under pressure.
- Well organized; able to meet deadlines, good understanding of time management.
- Proactive and self-motivated, able to work independently as well as in a team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well in multi-cultural teams.
- Conceptualizes and analyses problems to identify key issues, underlying problems, and how they relate.
- Willing to learn new skills/knowledge related to the scope/content of the specific projects.
- Generates creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations.
- Willing to receive feedback from others.
- Has a vision to develop the organization and an intention of continuous improvement.
Terms and conditions
- This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) position. CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency, commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for 1 (one) year, inclusive of a three-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be in Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careers
To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 10 Jun-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Post Doctoral Fellow)
Consultant For a Review on Rights-Based Approaches in Climate Change, Conservation, and Development Initiatives (Consultancy)
GLFx Digital & Community Support Intern (Internship)
Home-based, preferably in CEST time zone or similar
Research Assistant - International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) (Local Position)
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso