Job status: Inactive
Job category: Consultancy
Duty station: Home-based, Vietnam
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
To Review the implementation and amendment of the Circular no. 13/2019/TT-BNNPTNT dated 25/10/2019 of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) on offset afforestation in case of changing the forest use purpose into other purposes
Over the years, the National Assembly, the Government, the Prime Minister, the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development and the ministries and branches have issued regulations and documents directing and guiding the implementation of offset afforestation (covering the mangroves, and coastal and terrestrial forests) when converting the forest use purpose to another use purpose. Agencies, units and localities have organized the implementation, creating a strong change in the implementation of the provisions of the law on afforestation when changing the forest use purpose to another purpose.
Pursuant to the 15 November 2017 Forestry Law and the Government's Decree No. 156/2018/ND-CP dated 16 November 2018 detailing the implementation of a number of articles of the Forestry Law, the Ministry of Agriculture and Development 13/2019/TT-BNNPTNT dated 25 October 2019 regulating afforestation when changing forest use purposes to other purposes, in order to concretize the provisions of the Law on Forestry, overcome difficulties and obstacles in afforestation and strengthen the management of offset afforestation.
However, before achieving the practical requirements of the organization of replacement afforestation when changing the forest use purpose to another purpose, there are a number of factors that need to be adjusted. These include: implementing offset afforestation through the Forest Protection and Development Fund for the amount collected before 2019; defining objects of support for planting production forests according to the provisions of Decree 75/2015/ND-CP of the Government on mechanisms and policies for forest protection and development, because those associated with the policy of rapid and sustainable poverty reduction and support for ethnic minority groups for the period 2015–2020 have expired; expanding the spending items for the money collected for the Forest Protection and Development Fund for the offset afforestation purposes, to give more specific provisions on the mangroves. Therefore, it is necessary to review the provisions on offset afforestation when changing forest use purposes in order to improve the legal system and meet the state management requirements, including those related to mangroves and terrestrial forests, for application to all types of forests.
Duties and responsibilities
The objective of the Consultancy is to support the
Vietnam Forest Protection and Development Fund (VNFF) in assessing the
implementation of the provisions of the law on offset afforestation when
changing forest use purposes in order to discover inadequacies and conflicts, and
overlapping, invalidating or other provisions that are no longer applicable (if
any); handling or recommending to handle illegal provisions; amending/drafting
the Circular on offset afforestation to replace the existing Circular
The Consultant will work closely with CIFOR and VNFF
to organize the implementation of tasks according to the stated scope of the assignment,
and ensure the work is completed on schedule and is effective; specifically:
a detailed implementation plan to achieve the outputs.
a self-sufficient working place, with occasional meetings at the VNFF office to
collect related documents and develop the report.
the report according to the reporting requirements.
the direction and supervision of CIFOR and VNFF, the consultant will:
- Review and evaluate regulations on afforestation when changing forest use purposes to other purposes.
- Consult with stakeholders and conduct a field survey.
- Participate in meetings, seminars and conferences, presenting reports as requested by CIFOR and VNFF.
- Prepare responses to comments received from agencies and organizations at technical meetings and consultation workshops, upon approval from CIFOR and VNFF.
- Contribute to the Draft Circular.
Education, knowledge and experience
- PhD degree in an area related to forestry, the environment, law or economics
- More than 10 years of experience in state management or research and training related to the forestry sector
- Knowledge/experience in a consulting field; priority will be given to experts who have participated in the development of legal documents, research works and projects related to forestry
- Understanding of issues in the forestry sector at central and local levels
- Experience in working with state agencies and related organizations and units
- Experience in planning and writing general reports; have skills in organizing meetings, seminars and training; ability to write reports and documents for meetings and seminars; experience working in a team; ability to work independently and travel to provinces as required; presenting and giving feedback at seminars
- Experience with information technology office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, the Internet).
Personal attributes and competencies
- Strong communication skills
- Multi-cultural collaboration experience
Terms and conditions
- This is a consultancy position.
- Period of the consultancy is expected to be 3 months: 1 July 2022 – 30 September 2022.
- Work location is home-based, Vietnam. To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careers and https://www.worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 05 Jun-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Post Doctoral Fellow)
Consultant For a Review on Rights-Based Approaches in Climate Change, Conservation, and Development Initiatives (Consultancy)
GLFx Digital & Community Support Intern (Internship)
Home-based, preferably in CEST time zone or similar
Research Assistant - International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) (Local Position)
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso