Job status: In-progress
Job category: Consultancy
Duty station: home-based (with ability to work in the Europe time zone)
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
GLF Events Project Officer
The Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) was first launched in 2013 by Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) with core partners including the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the World Bank and the Government of Germany. Meaningful engagement of youth and other typically marginalized stakeholders was a cornerstone of GLF’s operation from the beginning.
Today, the GLF is the world’s largest knowledge-led platform on sustainable land use, dedicated to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and Paris Climate Agreement.
Building on a decade of successful conferencing during which we achieved the mainstreaming of the landscape approach, the GLF has evolved to encompass five innovation areas, each set up to contribute to strengthening and enabling decentralized local action towards ecosystem restoration and sustainable development. These are as follows: 1) Creating a Digital Knowledge Commons (having reached a billion people in 185 countries); 2) Pioneering Youth Leadership (60,000, 160 countries); 3) GLF Learning Program (Landscape Academy, 18,000 learners); 4) GLF Investment Case, sustainable finance and value chains; and 5) GLFx and GLF Communities of Practice. GLFx, is our programme to decentralize the GLF to create community-led GLF chapters and communities of practice that are designed to carry out restoration and other activities (including advocacy) on the ground while creating a learning hub at the national and subnational levels.
GLF is supported by its Charter Members, comprising 33 leading sustainable development organizations that invest in and co-create activities on the GLF platform and offer opportunities for intergenerational learning and exchange.
GLF is a place where a farmer can inform action, pathways and policies; where international organizations can learn from the private sector and vice versa; and where CEOs, community leaders, communicators and scientists can share, learn, connect and act together.
From building the investment case for sustainable landscapes, through conserving and restoring peatlands, to supporting restoration in Africa, GLF has been at the cutting edge in hosting and facilitating all manner of discussions to accelerate positive action for people, for the environment, and for the achievement of global climate goals and SDGs.
Duties and responsibilities
The GLF Events Project Officer will play a critical
project management role in the knowledge-led delivery of GLF global, regional
and thematic events and digital forums.
The Officer will act as project manager and focal
point for the delivery of events and other activities, under various projects
funded by GLF partners, including the Food and
Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Robert Bosch Stiftung and the Multi-Partner
Trust Fund (MPTF) for the Decade on Ecosystem Restoration.
He/she will be responsible for the overall delivery of
events, working with partners and GLF’s Knowledge and Digital Communications
teams, to implement event processes, and ensure activities and inputs are
effectively co-ordinated, for high-quality event management and delivery, as
- Act as
project manager and lead co-ordinator for GLF events and projects where GLF is
- Be responsible
for the delivery and monitoring of events and project deliverables, providing
effective co-ordination across Knowledge and Digital Communications teams, to
ensure activities are delivered on time and at a high quality.
- Carry out
communications and co-ordination with GLF’s Charter Members and partners.
- Lead the
organization of tailor-made events, workshops and dialogues.
event and programme concepts, agendas and reports, in collaboration with
Knowledge team members, science advisors and GLF partners.
and maintain documentation, templates and guidance for GLF events and
reports on achievements and outcomes of events and project activities.
mainstreaming of GLF innovations– youth, learning, GLFx, sustainable finance – and
contribute to the development of the Digital Knowledge Commons.
Education, knowledge and experience
- University degree in a related discipline (environmental studies, international/sustainable development, international relations, communications, etc.)
- Minimum of 2 years of proven working experience in event project management (planning, implementing and monitoring projects), communications, preferably in environmental and international development sectors
- Prior experience, or knowledge of, international development and/or environment policy processes, including Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) or Rio conventions (Convention on Biological Diversity, United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification)
- Knowledge of sustainable landscapes and the landscapes approach preferred
- Facilitation skills an asset
- Experience in knowledge management an asset
- Fluency in English is essential; other languages (esp. French, Spanish, Indonesian, German) an advantage
- Experienced in and/or comfortable with remote work
Personal attributes and competencies
- Highly organized, pays attention to detail, able to set priorities and multi-task
- Self-motivated, resourceful, energetic, flexible and adaptable
- Adept at networking and meeting new people from different cultures
- Creative problem solver, strategic at both macro and micro levels
- Independent and able to work with minimal supervision, but also a team player
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams and with outstanding interpersonal and written communications skills
- Outstanding diplomatic and negotiation skills
- Proven ability to work well under pressure
Terms and conditions
- The consultancy services shall be for a period of eleven months from the earliest possible start date of the contract (full-time consultancy).
- The consultant will be home-based (with ability to work in the Europe time zone). To apply, please visit our career site at: https://www.cifor.org/careers and https://www.worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 26 Jun-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Landscape News Assistant (Consultancy)
Science Writers (Consultancy)
GLF Youth Coordinator (Consultancy)
Internal Audit Internship (Internship)
New Delhi, India
Remote Sensing Specialist (Local Position)
Research Officer (Local Position)
Deputy Chief of Party (Local Position)
New Delhi, India
GLF Youth in Landscapes Network Intern (Internship)
Home-based, preferably in CET time zone or similar
Senior Accountant - Grants (Local Position)
GLFx Consultant for Latin America and the Caribbean (Consultancy)
Home-based, preferably in Latin America and Caribbean time zones
Consultant for Baseline Assessment of the Policy Environment and Investment Landscape in Relation to Trees Outside Forests (Consultancy)
Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Haryana, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh