Job status: In-progress
Job category: Global Position
Duty station: Bogor, Indonesia; Bonn, Germany; Nairobi, Kenya; OR other CIFOR-ICRAF locations
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Head of FACT Dialogue Secretariat
The Head of Secretariat will be responsible for project oversight and, as the main point of contact with BEIS (COP26 Presidency), for the delivery of the strategic vision of the Forest, Agriculture and Commodity Trade (FACT) Dialogue. The job holder will be responsible for relationship management with the Authority (BEIS) and (P4F) as funding partners and other key stakeholders in the FACT Dialogue Secretariat; and oversee quality assurance and timely project delivery. The Head will serve as the spokesperson of the FACT Dialogue Secretariat internally and externally, including speaking/facilitating on behalf of the Secretariat in FACT Dialogue meetings, external events and to the media and will drive implementation of the project plan and ensure that additional requests from stakeholders related to the FACT Dialogue secretariat will be handled appropriately. The Head will coordinate information sharing, advocacy, policy/position paper production, government engagement and other vital issues regarding government-to-government negotiations.
Duties and responsibilities
- Establish and lead a high
performing multidisciplinary team of 20+ across multiple countries
- Develop, review, and
oversee the implementation and delivery of the FACT dialogue project strategic
plans, including the FACT Dialogue Work Plan, the Secretariat Delivery Plan,
and deploy sound procedures for improvement of strategies to support FACT
Dialogue Roadmap implementation
- Build and enhance strategic
partnerships, as well as ensure the FACT dialogue’s visibility and competitive
position within relevant sectors towards delivery and impact
- Serve as the spokesperson
of the FACT Dialogue Secretariat internally and externally, including speaking
on behalf of the Secretariat in FACT Dialogue meetings, external events and to
- Responsible for strategic
and operational for FACT Dialogue staff, finances, and systems that support
growth of programs and ensure efficiencies.
- Establish effective systems
to track and evaluate FACT Dialogue performance and provide direction to ensure
the institutional viability, financial and operational efficiency
- Work with the comms team to
establish robust processes to proactively manage overall mass communication
with countries on plans, events and logistics as well as actively manage and
respond to requests coming from countries on the dialogue.
- Work with the UK on
coordinating meetings, questions and decisions with the FACT co-chair and
assisting with substantive policy discussions with countries when required.
- Mobilize and leverage the
power of relationships and networks across both public and private sectors to
elevate Fact Dialogue impact and brand.
- Design and roll out
fundraising strategies and pursue new
revenue streams for FACT Dialogue.
Risk Management and Governance
- Ensure that FACT Dialogue
reliably achieves its objectives, addresses ambiguity, acts with integrity in
line with policies and processes
- Identify and mitigate or
exploit risks that could hinder or benefit CIFOR-ICRAF in achieving its
- Responsible for own
occupational health and safety and that of others as obliged by CIFOR-ICRAF’s
Occupational Health & Safety Policy.
Education, knowledge and experience
- Master’s degree/Advanced University Degree or equivalent qualifying experience.
- Significant experience (7+ years) at leadership level in a similar, or aligned, organization, preferably in the domain of deforestation, climate change or forest and agriculture-based commodities.
- Holding a recognised Project/Programme Management qualification.
- A strong track record of setting up and delivering value for money high quality climate change programs.
- Experience in strategic and day to day management of a high-level Secretariat including staff, office and budget, ensuring timely donor reporting.
- Extensive experience leading multistakeholder and/or government to governments negotiations and build bridges and find consensus between diverging governmental / political interests.Experience in inspiring and motivating multiple stakeholders with diverse need and interests.
- Experience in coordination with multi-agency, or multi governments forums, preferably at a high policy level.
- Extensive experience of successfully building and leading large diverse teams.
- Knowledge of rural development, political economy, land use change, social inclusion, and equity, and/or environmental issues is advantageous.
- An understanding of the work of the FACT Dialogue would be an advantage.
- Experience in leading and delivering a complex and high-performing process with a culture of enabling and empowering people from different policy, governments and NGO’s background.
- Excellent English language skills. Working knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia, Portuguese, Spanish and/or French would be an advantage.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Strong analytical and strategic acumen.
- An understanding and commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and team-working skills, with a proven ability to motivate, earn trust and enthuse whilst delegating appropriately to focus on strategic issues.
- Ability to define clear goals and inspire people to achieve them.
- Ambition and energy to pursue the plans for consolidation and operational delivery.
Terms and conditions
- This is a Globally Recruited Staff (GRS) position. CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in USD, commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for one year, inclusive of a six-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be in Bogor, Indonesia; Bonn, Germany; Nairobi, Kenya; OR other CIFOR-ICRAF locations. To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careers and https://www.worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 18 May-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
GLF Partner Engagement Consultant (Consultancy)
Consultant - GLF Speakers Coordinator (Consultancy)
Senior Project Officer (Local Position)
Internship to update the International Database on REDD+ Projects and Programs - Linking Economics, Carbon and Communities (ID-RECCO) (Internship)
Research Officer – Financial and Economics Analyst (Local Position)
Human Resources Officer, Compensation and Benefits (Local Position)
Global Conferences and Events Outreach Manager (Consultancy)
Bogor, Indonesia; Bonn, Germany; or Nairobi, Kenya