Job status: Inactive
Job category: Consultancy
Duty station: Home-based
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Consultant - GLF Sustainable Finance Project Officer
OverviewThe Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) was first launched in 2013 by CIFOR with core partners including UNEP, the World Bank, and the Government of Germany. Meaningful engagement of youth and other typically marginalized stakeholders was a cornerstone of GLF’s operation from the beginning. Today, the GLF is the world’s largest knowledge-led platform on sustainable land use, dedicated to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and Paris Climate Agreement. Building on a decade of successful conferencing during which we achieved the mainstreaming of the landscape approach the GLF has evolved to five innovation areas each set up to contribute to strengthening and enabling decentralized local action towards ecosystem restoration and sustainable development. These include: 1) Creating a Digital Knowledge Commons (having reached a billion people in 185 countries); 2) Pioneering Youth Leadership (60,000, 160 countries); 3) GLF Learning Program (Landscape Academy (18,000 learners); 4) GLF Investment Case, sustainable finance, and value chains, and 5) GLFx and GLF Communities of Practice. GLFx, is our program to decentralize the Forum to create community led GLF chapters, and communities of practice, that are designed to carry out restoration and other activities (including advocacy) on the ground while creating a learning hub at the national and subnational level. GLF is supported by its Charter Members, 32 leading sustainable development organisations who invest in and co-create activities on the GLF platform and offer opportunities for intergenerational learning and exchange. GLF is a place where a farmer can inform action, pathways, and policies; where international organizations can learn from the private sector and vice versa; and where CEOs, community leaders, communicators and scientists can share, learn, connect, and act together. From building the investment case for sustainable landscapes, to conserving and restoring peatlands, to supporting restoration in Africa, GLF has been at the cutting edge in hosting and facilitating all manner of discussions to accelerate positive action for people, for the environment, and for the achievement of global climate and SDGs. GLF is engaged in mainstreaming sustainable finance for nature-based solutions. After five successful GLF Investment Case symposiums (London in 2015 and 2016, Washington in 2018, Luxembourg in 2019 and Glasgow in 2021), GLF is increasing its efforts on sustainable finance and value chains through strategic partnerships. These include the Luxembourg-GLF Finance for Nature Platform launched in June 2021, as well as the global GEF impact program on Food Systems, Land Use and Restoration (FOLUR). In the next years, GLF will continue partnering closely with leading financial organizations globally to share good practices and lessons learned on financial innovations for sustainable landscapes.
Duties and responsibilities
The GLF Sustainable Finance Project
Officer will be key in supporting the project coordination and development of
knowledge products and tailor-made events for mainstreaming good practices for
sustainable finance and value chains, including in the context of the FOLUR
programme and the Luxembourg-GLF Finance for Nature Platform.
Under the supervision of the GLF Managing
Director and the GLF Sustainable Finance Lead, the GLF Sustainable Finance
Project Officer will perform the following tasks:
- Support the GLF Sustainable Finance Lead in the project
coordination for GLF led sustainable finance initiatives, such as the
Luxembourg-GLF Finance for Nature Platform and FOLUR and for the design, implementation,
monitoring of activities and processes in both initiatives/projects.
- Carry out communications and coordination for the Luxembourg-GLF
Finance for Nature Platform and FOLUR projects under the supervision of the GLF
Sustainable Finance Lead, and working closely with Sustainable Finance Communications
- Lead the
coordination and/or support organization of tailor-made events, which includes
(not limited to) : Events coordination of the GLF Investment Case, investors
round-tables, youth workshops, finance sessions in GLF events.
expert advice and do research on sustainable value chains, including on
environmental and social standards and zero-deforestation approaches.
- Engage with
FOLUR partners to support the design of knowledge products and knowledge
sharing events, including in the context of Communities of Practice (CoP).
- Support the GLF
Sustainable Finance Lead to design an integrated workplan to ensure the links
with GLF other innovations (and secretariat).
effective and efficient mainstreaming and integration of sustainable finance
activities with other GLF innovations (Learning, Youth, GLFx) and partnerships,
maintaining regular communications and collaboration with other GLF
Education, knowledge and experience
- University degree in a related discipline (international trade, environmental finance and economics, sustainable finance, business management and development, international development, environmental studies, international relations, etc.)
- At least 1 year working experience on sustainable value chains/sustainable finance, and ideally in multistakeholder processes in developing countries or on projects with a focus on sustainable landscapes
- Experience in planning, implementing and monitoring projects
- Demonstrated ability to maintain attention to detail
- Good understanding of international development and/or environment policy processes
- Experience in working with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) or Rio conventions (CBD, UNFCCC, UNCCD) policy processes is an asset
- Fluency in English is essential; other languages (esp. French, Spanish, Indonesian, German) an advantage.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Self-motivated, resourceful, energetic, flexible and adaptable
- Adept at networking and meeting new people from different cultures
- Creative problem solver
- Strategic at both macro and micro levels
- Independent and able to work with minimal supervision, but also be a team player
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams and have outstanding interpersonal communications skills
- Outstanding diplomatic and negotiation skills
- Proven ability to work well under pressure.
Terms and conditions
- This is a full-time consultancy position.
- Period of the consultancy is expected to be February – December 2022. Work locations: home-based, preferably in CET time zone. To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careers To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 28 Mar-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
GLF Events Project Officer (Consultancy)
home-based (with ability to work in the Europe time zone)
Landscape News Assistant (Consultancy)
Science Writers (Consultancy)
GLF Youth Coordinator (Consultancy)
Internal Audit Internship (Internship)
New Delhi, India
Remote Sensing Specialist (Local Position)
Research Officer (Local Position)
Deputy Chief of Party (Local Position)
New Delhi, India
GLF Youth in Landscapes Network Intern (Internship)
Home-based, preferably in CET time zone or similar
Senior Accountant - Grants (Local Position)
GLFx Consultant for Latin America and the Caribbean (Consultancy)
Home-based, preferably in Latin America and Caribbean time zones
Consultant for Baseline Assessment of the Policy Environment and Investment Landscape in Relation to Trees Outside Forests (Consultancy)
Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Haryana, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh