Job status: Inactive
Job category: Consultancy
Duty station: Home-based
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Consultant – Content Officer
OverviewThe Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) was first launched in 2013 by CIFOR with core partners including UNEP, the World Bank, and the Government of Germany. Meaningful engagement of youth and other typically marginalized stakeholders was a cornerstone of GLF’s operation from the beginning. Today, the GLF is the world’s largest knowledge-led platform on sustainable land use, dedicated to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and Paris Climate Agreement. Building on a decade of successful conferencing during which we achieved the mainstreaming of the landscape approach the GLF has evolved to five innovation areas each set up to contribute to strengthening and enabling decentralized local action towards ecosystem restoration and sustainable development. These include: 1) Creating a Digital Knowledge Commons (having reached a billion people in 185 countries); 2) Pioneering Youth Leadership (60,000, 160 countries); 3) GLF Learning Program (Landscape Academy (18,000 learners); 4) GLF Investment Case, sustainable finance, and value chains, and 5) GLFx and GLF Communities of Practice. GLFx, is our program to decentralize the Forum to create community led GLF chapters, and communities of practice, that are designed to carry out restoration and other activities (including advocacy) on the ground while creating a learning hub at the national and subnational level. GLF is supported by its Charter Members, 32 leading sustainable development organisations who invest in and co-create activities on the GLF platform and offer opportunities for intergenerational learning and exchange. GLF is a place where a farmer can inform action, pathways, and policies; where international organizations can learn from the private sector and vice versa; and where CEOs, community leaders, communicators and scientists can share, learn, connect, and act together. From building the investment case for sustainable landscapes, to conserving and restoring peatlands, to supporting restoration in Africa, GLF has been at the cutting edge in hosting and facilitating all manner of discussions to accelerate positive action for people, for the environment, and for the achievement of global climate and SDGs. The GLF in 2022 – 2026 will work across 5 innovations, at the centre of which is the Digital Knowledge Commons. The Digital Knowledge Commons is defined as a community that co-produces knowledge, information, content and experience across geographies and positions on digital platforms. The Digital Knowledge Commons and GLF’s innovations aim to broker cross-sectoral and cross-scale access to knowledge and enhance learning, to operationalize the landscape approach, and accelerate progress on climate, biodiversity and sustainable development goals.
Duties and responsibilities
- Increasing the searchability of videos, podcasts, infographics, white papers and other knowledge products;
- Reviewing products, writing catchy titles and descriptions, and entering metadata that will structure the library and optimize the search capacities on the GLF website.
- Identifying, co-producing and curating knowledge products and packages for key stakeholders in the GLF community, including sourcing products from GLF partners;
- Performing independent research and data analysis to support the refinement of knowledge management and learning strategies.
- Continuous update of Landscape Academy’s webpage and its content, including identifying additional learning products from the worldwide web, to be featured
- Assist in the design of a Learning Campus, including online learning products, courses, materials, opportunities and events to be featured
- Assist in the design and development of blended learning trajectories on landscape related topics and hosted on the Academy’s web page
- Collaborate in the development of interdisciplinary educational programmes with universities, colleges and vocational training centres, and made visible on the web page
Education, knowledge and experience
- Master’s student or recently graduated in communications, marketing, documentary, writing, environment, social studies or related disciplines;
- Fluent in English. A French or Spanish speaker is desirable;
- Understanding of WordPress CMS: in particular, an understanding of categories, tags, taxonomies and basic database schema;
- An ability to identify useful and relevant knowledge, and understand the different needs of a broad community;
- Knowledge of Python, Java or another programming language is desirable; and
- An avid listener of podcasts or consumer of YouTube videos is desirable.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Be creative and passionate about changing the world;
- Have a fearless attitude and be open to learning;
- Have a proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment and take the initiative;
- Should be well organized and able to work efficiently under time pressure; and
- Have a commitment to inclusive learning.
Terms and conditions
- This is a full-time consultancy position.
- Period of the consultancy is expected to be January – November 2022. Work locations: home-based, preferably in CET time zone. To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careers To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Jan-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
GLF Events Project Officer (Consultancy)
home-based (with ability to work in the Europe time zone)
Landscape News Assistant (Consultancy)
Science Writers (Consultancy)
GLF Youth Coordinator (Consultancy)
Internal Audit Internship (Internship)
New Delhi, India
Remote Sensing Specialist (Local Position)
Research Officer (Local Position)
Deputy Chief of Party (Local Position)
New Delhi, India
GLF Youth in Landscapes Network Intern (Internship)
Home-based, preferably in CET time zone or similar
Senior Accountant - Grants (Local Position)
GLFx Consultant for Latin America and the Caribbean (Consultancy)
Home-based, preferably in Latin America and Caribbean time zones
Consultant for Baseline Assessment of the Policy Environment and Investment Landscape in Relation to Trees Outside Forests (Consultancy)
Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Haryana, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh