Job status: Inactive
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: New Delhi, India
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Geoinformatics Data Scientist & Programmer
CIFOR-ICRAF is currently seeking to fill several positions in The Asia Continental Program (ACP) for the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) for Trees Outside Forest in India (TOFI) program. The TOFI Program will run for five years – November 1, 2021 to October 31, 2026) in Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Haryana, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh. Initial appointment will be for a period of one year with a probation period of 3 months for Local Positions. Contracts will be renewed every year during the 5 years’ duration of TOFI, based on performance, timely delivery, and continued relevance for the position. All these positions will be under CIFOR-ICRAF umbrella, and while contributing to TOFI’s implementation; hired staff will also be actively engaged in overall CIFOR-ICRAF program in India. The positions may continue beyond TOFI subjected to availability of placement and funding.
- Job Category: Locally Recruited Position,
- Remuneration package: INR 1,200,888 – 2,321,607 p.a.
- Cash Benefits: Base salary, House rent allowance, fixed dearness allowance, leave travel allowance, children education allowance, etc
- Non-cash Benefits: The staff, spouse and two dependent children are entitled for in-patient medical health insurance policy; and for outpatient medical care (equivalent to one month salary plus fixed dearness allowance) for a calendar year
- Duty station: New Delhi, India with frequent travel within India.
Duties and responsibilities
The successful applicant will be
based at New Delhi and will report to the Chief of the party, TOFI project, CIFOR-ICRAF. The incumbent will be responsible
for geo-big data analytics, remote sensing data collection, processing and
automation of mapping trees outside the forests and farming systems
classification, mapping and monitoring of tree cover, development of
data-driven decision support web portal, and associated smartphone application
development, support of call center for farmers network, and design and development of the real-time
dashboard that show the on-farm research and outreach activities for
result-based management and impacts.
- Development of the advances in the remote sensing and
geoinformatics application for the agroforestry and tree outside the forests
using state of the art geo-big data, machine learning and AI-based algorithms
- Contribute to developing web-based platforms and real-time
dashboards, smartphone-based geospatial applications and decision support
- Implementation of algorithms for multi-temporal and multispectral
remote sensing data analysis in agriculture and TOF/Agroforestry applications.
- Collect and mange georeferenced/ GPS based field data and other
ancillary data, convert field data in GIS format (vector/ raster/ geodatabase)
using remote sensing and open-source software.
- Creating GIS /geodatabase based maps and reports and formulation
of content for Geospatial app/dashboard/websites.
- Machine learning algorithms in the geospatial domain for
automation for mapping, monitoring and suitably analysis in cloud computing
platforms like Google Earth Engine platform and GEE APPs, python, R, etc.
- Translate designs and wireframes into high-quality code and
maintain GitHub and GEE app.
- Work closely with design & product teams to integrate,
implement & improve features with the latest technological advances.
- Stay updated with emerging technologies and implement them into
the current code base and portals and apps.
- Be responsible for complete front-end and back-end development
- Contribute to institutional capacity building of national partners
through training and technical backstopping.
- Analyze data and publish scientific findings in high impact ISI
- Attend to any other work assigned by CIFOR-ICRAF.
Education, knowledge and experience
- PhD in Geospatial Science, Geoinformatics, Remote Sensing & GIS, Geomatics, Environmental Sciences, Computer Science with proven knowledge of Geoinformatics applications or equivalent.
- At least 5 years of working experience on satellite data and digital image processing, classification, Geoinformatics analysis and
- At least 3 Years’ of experience in GEE programming for geospatial skills and apps
- Proven experience in remote sensing and GIS tools and applications; programming skills (R, Python, and Geospatial packages), Cloud computing platforms like Google earth engine etc.
- Working experience in development of Web based platforms (Dashboard) and smartphone-based applications development using open-source codes and tools.
- Working knowledge of Android app development & Geoportal development and management.
- Proven experience in field-based research, land use monitoring, assessment and change detection using Geoinformatics.
- Experienced with storage, threading, and performance tuning.
- Excellent Analytical skills, computer skills: MS-Office, Internet Explorer, MS-Outlook, and power point presentation.
- Knowledge and experience in, participatory and community-based data collection using ODK based platforms.
- Excellent written, verbal communication skills in English.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision, but also lead and participate as a team member in accomplishment of duties.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills and good judgment
- Demonstrate high level of integrity
- Strong attention to detail and maintaining a timely and efficient workflow
- Strong flexibility/adaptability and positive attitude towards work
- Ability to work under pressure and meet targets
Terms and conditions
- This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) position.
- Duration of the contract: One year renewable contingent upon availability of funds, continued relevance of position and performance of the incumbent.
- CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency commensurate with skills and experience.
- CIFOR-ICRAF reserves the right to modify the number of positions, locations, timeline or cancel the hiring as necessary.
- Based on the performance/ competencies and needs, hired staff may be relocated to other project locations upon mutual consent.
- Interested candidates are requested to submit their application online with cover letter, with at least three reference through CIFOR-ICRAF career page
- Application without cover letter and references will not be considered.
- Candidates should mention the position and location (if applicable) they are applying in the cover letter.
To apply, please visit our career site at: https://www.cifor.org/careers, https://www.worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf, https://www.cifor-icraf.org/careers
CIFOR-ICRAF promotes Gender Diversity – Applications from women professionals are encouraged.
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
Application processThe application deadline is 23 Dec-2021
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Gender and Social Inclusion Coordinator (Local Position)
New Delhi, India
GLF Sustainable Finance Intern (Internship)
Remotely, in Europe time zone (Home-based)
Admin Support Consultant (Consultancy)
Remote (home-based), preferably Bogor
Regional Communication Coordinator - ICRISAT (Local Position)
Office Assistant (Local Position)
Two Consultants (Research Associates) – To work on Forestry/Agroforestry and Tress Outside Forests Policy Analysis (Consultancy)
New Delhi, India
Temporary Training Officer, Nairobi (Local Position)
Project Administrator - Kenya (Local Position)
Junior Scientist (Global Position)
Administrative and Finance Officer (Local Position)