Job status: Inactive
Job category: Global Position
Duty station: Bogor, Indonesia; Nairobi, Kenya; or Bonn, Germany
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Editorial and Outreach Lead
OverviewThe Editorial & Outreach Lead is a key pillar in driving CIFOR-ICRAF´s ambitious editorial, outreach and engagement activities, including media relations, forward. She/he is responsible for coordinating a small team of editors and communications/media relations officers within the Communications, Outreach & Engagement Directorate which comprises about 50 communications professionals operating across various locations globally.
Duties and responsibilities
- Closely follow global topics of relevance to CIFOR-ICRAF and identify opportunities for thought-leadership;
- Define key topics for CIFOR-ICRAF`s proactive positioning;
- Develop narratives and targeted content for communication campaigns and major global events, including messaging and content concepts for CIFOR-ICRAF-organised events;
- Ensure that relevant staff is briefed and given guidance on messaging / editorial matters;
- Manage the content production-side for institutional communication products, such as the monthly newsletter, the Annual Report;
- Oversee contributions from editors and communications consultants to ensure consistency, quality and impact;
- Draft speeches, presentations and other key communication products as needed;
- Overall editorial responsibility for CIFOR-ICRAF´s news sites (i.e. Forest News, Agroforestry World News), overseeing a team of editors and writers and ensuring quality output;
- Identify opportunities to promote CIFOR-ICRAF content from individual projects to promote the institution overall.
- Lead the development and oversee the implementation of an effective and impactful media relations strategy in line with the overall communications strategy and editorial priorities;
- Keep abreast of global media topics of relevance to CIFOR-ICRAF and identify areas for proactive positioning;
- Establish strong media relations to international, specialized, audiovisual/digital outlets;
- Leading reputation management / crisis communication activities.
- Actively contribute to the development and implementation of communication campaigns, in close collaboration with the Campaign lead;
- Develop compelling narratives for flagship events.
- Develop a strategy for the outreach & engagement activities in line with CIFOR-ICRAF´s overall communication strategy and the institution´s stakeholders;
- Coordinate the outreach & engagement staff within COE, ensure staff has the necessary information and skill-set to perform their tasks, provide regular feedback and lead the collation of innovative ideas to further grow the institution´s positioning towards its stakeholders;
- Quality control of the outreach & engagement staff´s and consultants’ outputs;
- Regular engagement with in- and external counterparts to set communication priorities and coordinate according activities;
- Identify needs for external consultancies, draft ToR´s and manage the selection / on-boarding process:
- Manage budgets and ensure deliverables are met on time, within budget and high quality.
Education, knowledge and experience
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, or a related discipline.
- At least 10 years of professional work experience in a fast-paced, dynamic communications environment, preferably at the international level and with a science focus;
- Well versed in using different communications tools and techniques, with a clear focus on targeting stakeholders effectively and achieving measurable impact;
- Track record in producing and overseeing the production of compelling content;
- Sound understanding of how traditional media and social media work and what it takes to pitch content successfully;
- Ability to nurture networks in- and outside the institution;
- Ability to manage multiple projects with demanding in- and external counterparts in parallel;
- Experience in planning, implementing and overseeing complex communication activities;
- Monitoring progress and evaluating impact of communication activities;
- Experience in crisis communication is essential;
- Experience in working for a research facility or within the development sector is an advantage;
- Fluency in English at native level is essential; other languages (esp. French, Spanish, Indonesian) an advantage.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Self?motivated, resourceful and energetic
- Able to work with significant autonomy as well as within a team
- Able to find creative solutions
- Enjoy managing multiple projects and initiatives towards tight deadlines
- Able to strategize at both macro- and micro-levels;
- A team player with outstanding interpersonal communications skills;
- Strong client / service approach;
- Proven ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to synthesize information quickly and contextualize it
Terms and conditions
- This is a Globally Recruited position. CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for 2 (two) years, inclusive of a six-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be in Bogor, Indonesia; Nairobi, Kenya or Bonn, Germany. To apply, please visit our career site at: https://www.cifor.org/careers To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 20 Oct-2021
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
IUAF Secretary-General (external position) (Global Position)
Prague, Czech Republic
Consultant - Statistical Analyst for Analyzing the consumption of Wild Meat in Central Africa (Consultancy)
Social Media Consultant (Consultancy)
Bonn, Stadt, Germany
Consultant - GLF Speakers Coordinator (Consultancy)
Chief Executive Officer (Global position)
BOGOR, INDONESIA; NAIROBI, KENYA; OR OTHER LOCATIONS