Job status: Inactive
Job category: Consultancy
Duty station: Home-based
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Consultant Knowledge Management and Monitoring & Evaluation
OverviewThe Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) is the world’s largest knowledge-led platform on sustainable land use, dedicated to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and complying with the Paris Climate Agreement. Building on a decade of successful conferencing during which we achieved the mainstreaming of the landscape approach, the GLF has evolved to encompass five innovation areas, each set up to contribute to strengthening and enabling decentralized local action towards ecosystem restoration. These include: 1) Creating a Digital Knowledge Commons (having reached a billion people in 185 countries); 2) Pioneering Youth Leadership (60,000, 160 countries); 3) GLF Learning Program (Landscape Academy (18,000 learners); 4) GLF Investment Case, sustainable finance, and value chains; and 5) GLFx and GLF Communities of Practice. The GLF works across the above five innovations, at the centre of which is the Digital Knowledge Commons. The Digital Knowledge Commons is defined as a community that co-produces knowledge, information, content and experience across geographies and positions on digital platforms. Externally, the Digital Knowledge Commons and GLF’s innovations aim to broker cross-sectoral and cross-scale access to knowledge to operationalize the landscape approach, and accelerate progress on climate, biodiversity and the Sustainable Development Goals. Internally, there is a great opportunity to develop a Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Impact Assessment system to capture, track and communicate GLF’s performance, and to support GLF innovation flows and the development of the Digital Knowledge Commons. Given the speed at which GLF innovations are currently growing, GLF is in need of an exceptional candidate to lead on assessing, monitoring and evaluating its processes and progress. We are searching for a dynamic person who is willing and able to join our highly agile and flexible GLF team, as GLF prepares for an exciting new phase of strategic development.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the GLF Knowledge
Coordinator, the consultant will:
1. Support the Knowledge and Learning team in
knowledge management and monitoring of key activities, innovations and events.
2. Work with
the GLF team to co-develop and implement an innovation-based Monitoring,
Evaluation, Learning, and Impact Assessment system for GLF, as follows:
- Support the review and update of GLF’s existing Theory of Change.
- Lead the setup, analysis and reporting of knowledge and learning needs
assessments, including the development, analysis and interpretation of quantitative
and qualitative indicators for tracking the progress of core activities.
- Assist the Knowledge Coordinator, the CIFOR-ICRAF Quality for Impact
(Q4I) team and external evaluators in conducting ad hoc and ex post evaluations
of activities across the pillars of GLF for tracing process effectiveness,
efficiency, relevance, impact and sustainability in line with the Theory of Change
- Support cross-team learning within the Knowledge team, and across teams
including Learning, Communications, Digital and Partnerships teams.
the Knowledge and Learning Hub in co-creating (with key partners) processes to meet GLF deliverables, including but not limited to,
implementing the strategy for the UN Decade for Ecosystem Restoration and the
knowledge and learning products and formats as needed for the GLF Knowledge
Library or Learning Hub, including providing support, and preparing and
reviewing co-produced or produced knowledge and learning products.
5. Assist in
developing formats and templates for aligning learning outcomes and knowledge
products for coordinated GLF outcomes in line with milestones and deliverables,
and coordinate with junior officers, interns and potential student trainees in
the Knowledge and Learning team.
new business opportunities and proposal development, including leading on
M&E components of the proposal process.
Education, knowledge and experience
- bachelor’s degree in natural resource management, international development or similar disciplines;
- a minimum of 3 years’ experience in knowledge management and/or monitoring and evaluation of innovative and agile programmes;
- experience in grant proposal writing, deliverable tracking and reporting a significant asset;
- familiarity with landscape approaches, and with the work of GLF or GLF affiliates;
- understanding of knowledge and learning design and development of curricula, event management and communication;
- strong analytical skills and a proven record in social scientific evaluating methods, including conducting knowledge and learning needs assessments, surveying, content analysis, interviews, program theory and logic, etc.;
- fluency in English is essential, other languages (esp. French, Spanish, Portuguese, Indonesian, German) an advantage.
Personal attributes and competencies
- strong communication and networking skills;
- creative, highly flexible, willing and able to travel;
- able to motivate team members and partners, inspire to connect, share, learn and act;
- self-motivated, resourceful and energetic;
- able to find creative solutions;
- thrives in an innovative and agile working environment;
- able to strategize at both macro and micro levels;
- outstanding diplomatic and negotiation skills;
- proven ability to work well under pressure.
Terms and conditions
- This is full-time consultancy position.
- Duration of the assignment is from October 2021 – August 2022.
- Working locations: Home-based To apply, please visit our career site at: https://www.cifor.org/careers To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Oct-2021
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
IUAF Secretary-General (external position) (Global Position)
Prague, Czech Republic
Consultant - Statistical Analyst for Analyzing the consumption of Wild Meat in Central Africa (Consultancy)
Social Media Consultant (Consultancy)
Bonn, Stadt, Germany
Consultant - GLF Speakers Coordinator (Consultancy)
Chief Executive Officer (Global position)
BOGOR, INDONESIA; NAIROBI, KENYA; OR OTHER LOCATIONS