Job status: In-progress
Job category: Consultancy
Duty station: Home-based
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Consultant – Media Outreach Coordinator
OverviewMedia outreach is a critical part of CIFOR-ICRAF’s communications program. Media play an important role in raising awareness of CIFOR-ICRAF’s impact-oriented research and actionable, nature-positive solutions. The freelance media outreach coordinator will use his/her media expertise, contacts with journalists, knowledge of climate change and the UNFCCC process to promote CIFOR-ICRAF’s activities in the context of the COP26 in Glasgow, U.K. A particular emphasis should be given to mainstream international media with large, diverse audiences.
Duties and responsibilities
- Working closely with the CIFOR-ICRAF team in the run-up and during COP26 to identify opportunities for stories, interviews and strengthened engagement with media directly related to the event as well as promoting CIFOR-ICRAF´s work related to climate change adaptation and mitigation more broadly
- Set out a plan of topics to pitch to journalists, leveraging CIFOR-ICRAF’s resources, research and experts
- Provide the CIFOR-ICRAF team with monitoring and evaluation, including which media were proactively contacted, details of how many stories were published, in which media outlets, the number of readers, reflection of CIFOR-ICRAF content in the coverage and any further quantitative / qualitative impact or feedback.
- Provide a media engagement plan for CIFOR-ICRAF’s engagement at COP26 in line with the overall climate change communications campaign framework and objectives
- Coordinate interviews with CIFOR-ICRAF experts on hand at COP26 and assist in determining which topics and material to pitch to media
- Provide a final impact report on the stories published, where they were published, number of readers and detailed qualitative and quantitative impact to CIFOR-ICRAF by Dec. 1, 2021
Education, knowledge and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related background
- Demonstrated experience engaging with international media, pitching stories successfully
- Good understanding of UNFCCC process and climate change policy
- Experience in managing complex projects with multiple counterparts
- Fluency in English is essential; French, Spanish advantageous
Personal attributes and competencies
- Self-motivated with a sense of urgency
- Ability to work towards tight deadlines and grab positioning opportunities as they arise
- Able to find creative solutions
- A team player and have outstanding interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Ability to work well in team environments
- Strong client service approach
- Resourceful, adaptable and self-directed
Terms and conditions
- This is part-time consultancy position.
- Duration of the assignment is from October – December 2021.
- Working locations: Home-based. To apply, please visit our career site at: https://www.cifor.org/careers To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Sep-2021
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
myCIFOR Operational Team Consultant (Consultancy)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Internal Vacancy - Research Officer (Local Position)
Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Impact Assessment (MELIA) Specialist (Local Position)