Job status: In-progress
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: Bogor, Indonesia
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Internal Vacancy - Research Officer
OverviewThe purpose of this position is to support VFI team ongoing and new projects on sustainable trade, fire prevention, and peatland restoration and other related projects as required.
Duties and responsibilities
- Contribute to the design and implementation of data
- Collection protocol and research activities
- Contribute to data collection and carry out data synthesis and analysis in support of CIFOR-ICRAF research on value chains and governance of forest and agriculture commodities production and trade
- Organize and facilitate in person or remote workshops, FGDs and project events; as well as field visit or fieldwork.
- Co-authoring research project reports and publications, e.g. peer-reviewed journal article, book or book chapter, policy brief, etc.
- Co-authoring contents of communication and outreach products, e.g. presentation material, infographic, newsletter, website contents etc.
- Supporting Project Manager to manage and monitor implementation of research activities
- Supporting Project Manager to manage internal and external coordination for the project activities and management
- Supporting Project Manager to manage and monitor communication with the donor and project partners
- Co-authoring and preparing submission of deliverables and reports to donor
- Co-authoring and participating in the proposal development
Education, knowledge and experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in forestry with additional specialization in forest economy ond/or policy;
- A minimum of three years of experience working in research or development organizations
- Demonstrated excellent understanding and knowledge on forest and agriculture commodities governance and trade in Indonesia;
- Proven experience in value chain, business feasibility and political economy research especially related to forest and agriculture commodities;
- Experience with the use of qualitative research software (i.e. NVivo), stakeholder mapping and social network analysis software (i.e. Kumu, Ucinet, or Netdraw), word processing and statisticalsoftware
- Expertise in qualitative data collection and analysis with proven experience conducting semistructured interviews, FGD, and survey with various stakeholders.
- Expertise in quantitative data collection and analysis especially related to financial feasibility and trade analysis.
- Experience in teamwork and fieldwork.
- Proven experience in organizing and facilitating workshops, in person and virtual, with multi-stakeholders targeted participants.
- Motivated and committed in conducting research supports related to forestry and agriculture commodity trade and governance including relevant associated issue such as climate change, restoration and sustainable development,
- Excellent writing and oral English with proven experience in producing report and scientific writing.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Able to manage multiple priorities under time pressure and work independently with minimum
- Able to develop research protocol
- Able to develop and facilitate survey and FGD
- Able to communicate and understand communication strategy for various stakeholders eg. donor, government officials, rural communities, etc.
Terms and conditions
- This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) position. CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency, commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for one year, inclusive of a six-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be in Bogor, Indonesia. To apply and to access the full job descriptions, please visit our CIFOR and ICRAF Intranets at: https://my.cifor.org/ and https://intranet.worldagroforestry.org/ CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Jul-2021
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
myCIFOR Operational Team Consultant (Consultancy)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Impact Assessment (MELIA) Specialist (Local Position)
Consultant – Media Outreach Coordinator (Consultancy)