Job status: In-progress
Job category: Post Doctoral Fellow
Duty station: Home-based
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Post-Doctoral Fellow, CCE
OverviewCIFOR-ICRAF’s Global Comparative Study (GCS) on REDD+ (https://www2.cifor.org/gcs/) has produced information, analysis and tools to promote effective, efficient and equitable (3E) REDD+ outcomes, including secure rights and livelihoods for indigenous peoples and local communities. The project is entering its fourth phase (2021-2023) with a focus on using science to help overcome the barriers to the implementation of (3E) REDD+ policies and actions in Peru, Brazil, DRC and Indonesia in light of growing finance for forests.In WP1, the project will support global actors (UNFCCC, IPCC) and national and subnational stakeholders to enhance transparency and accountability in the forest and land use sector, with special emphasis on large carbon reservoirs such as peatlands and stable forests. This will be through co-developing higher quality, more accessible and frequently updated data and information, focusing on the institutions and accountability mechanisms that support responsible use of these reservoirs.Carbon-rich tropical wetland ecosystems, including peatlands, are considered high priorities in climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies throughout the world. More specifically, peatlands in Latin American and the Caribbean have been identified as globally important but understudied.
Duties and responsibilities
Education, knowledge and experience
- A PhD in forestry, ecology, geography, environmental science or a related field
- Good understanding of the biogeochemistry of the carbon and nitrogen cycles and biogeochemical research methods in peatlands; specific knowledge of Latin American peatlands would be an advantage
- Experience in field-based ecological research (greenhouse gas sampling, vegetation and soil sampling)
- Proficiency in publishing, question-driven research and detail-oriented, conscientious application of scientific methods
- Good knowledge of statistics
- Experience in working with multiple partners and in developing countries would be preferred
- Experience working in diverse and multicultural environments would be a plus
- Fluency in English and excellent spoken and written Spanish.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Excellent analytical and facilitation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, experienced in working with multicultural and multidisciplinary research teams
- Initiative and capability to work independently while being an effective team member
- Competency in personal organization, priority setting and managing multiple tasks
- The successful candidate will value the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
Terms and conditions
- This is a postdoctoral fellow position. CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in US dollars commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for 1 (one) year, inclusive of a six-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station: Home-based.
To apply, please visit our career site at: https://www.cifor.org/careers
To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and https://www.worldagroforestry.org
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 23 Jul-2021
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
myCIFOR Operational Team Consultant (Consultancy)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Team Leader, Climate Change, Energy and Low-Carbon Development (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
Bogor, Indonesia OR Nairobi, Kenya
Legal Officer (Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS))
Internal Vacancy - Research Officer (Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS))
Science Writer Consultant (Consultancy)
Web Content Writer Consultant (Consultancy)