Job status: In-progress
Job category: Consultancy
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya or Bonn, Germany
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR-ICRAF are non-profit, scientific institutions that conduct research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. Our work focuses on innovative research, developing partners’ capacity, and actively engaging in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. Our work spans the globe, with expertise in the ‘global South’. Founded in 1993 and 1978 respectively, CIFOR-ICRAF began merging on January 1, 2019. They are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
GLFx Community Engagement Consultant
OverviewThe GLF was first launched in 2013 by CIFOR with core partners including UNEP, the World Bank, and the Government of Germany. Meaningful engagement of youth and other typically marginalized stakeholders was a cornerstone of GLF’s operation from the beginning.Today, the GLF is the world’s largest knowledge-led platform on sustainable land use, dedicated to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and Paris Climate Agreement.Building on a decade of successful conferencing during which we achieved the mainstreaming of the landscape approach the GLF has evolved to five innovation areas each set up to contribute to strengthening and enabling decentralized local action towards ecosystem restoration. These include: 1) Creating a Digital Knowledge Commons (having reached a billion people in 185 countries); 2) Pioneering Youth Leadership (60,000, 160 countries); 3) GLF Learning Program (Landscape Academy (18,000 learners); 4) GLF Investment Case, sustainable finance and value chains, and 5) GLFx and GLF Communities of Practice.GLFx, is our program to decentralize the Forum to create community-led GLF chapters, and communities of practice, that are designed to carry out restoration and other activities (including advocacy) on the ground while creating a learning hub at the national and subnational level. The aim is to enable and accelerate action towards more sustainable landscapes. Members can join independently organized chapters that meet locally to take action. They can also join online communities of practice (CoPs) to share knowledge and learnings.
Duties and responsibilities
- Work closely with the Knowledge and Communication Teams to clarify the value-proposition and ensure GLF social media, events and activities incorporate and utilize the GLFx platform.
- Develop, implement, and monitor results from a Community Engagement Plan which leverages all GLF activities (inclusive of newsletters, monthly networking, and other activities)
- Design engaging and interactive experiences and content on the platform which activates key GLF constituents through meeting a clear need (i.e., creation and moderation of groups)
- Develop and implement strategies for platform usage around key GLF and partner events
- Work with the Digital team to expand the support team and improve platform as needed
- Monitor and report on key engagement metrics and community feedback
- Support the development and implementation of a CoP engagement and knowledge-sharing strategy, including the development of guidelines and tools, as informed by community consultations and periodic needs assessments.
- Support the distribution of learnings, cross-fertilization and establish value feedback loops from and in between chapters and CoPs
Education, knowledge and experience
- University degree in a related discipline (community building, international development, international relations, environmental science, etc.)
- Three years’ experience in facilitation, stakeholder engagement, networking, growing online or in-person communities, or in international development
- Demonstrated interest and experience in the strategic and innovative use of digital media for nonprofit or international organizations, preferably at a global level and including for global events
- Knowledge of landscape approaches, and related on-the-ground experience
- Experience in designing and running advocacy campaigns or engagement strategies preferred.
- Experience in planning, implementing and evaluating complex projects
- Fluency in English is essential, proficiency in other languages (French, Spanish) is an advantage
Personal attributes and competencies
- Self-motivated, resourceful, energetic, flexible and adaptable
- Adept at networking and meeting new people from different cultures
- Creative problem solver
- Strategic at both macro and micro levels
- Independent and able to work with minimal supervision, but also be a team player
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams with outstanding interpersonal communications skills
- Outstanding diplomatic and negotiation skills
- Proven ability to work well under pressure.
Terms and conditions
- This is a full-time consultancy position.
- Period of the consultancy is expected to be June 2021 – April 2022.
- Work locations: Nairobi, Kenya or Bonn, Germany. Alternatively, working remotely in CET time zone or similar (Europe, Africa).To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careersTo learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.orgCIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Jun-2021
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (International Recruited Staff (IRS))
myCIFOR Operational Team Consultant (Consultancy)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Team Leader, Climate Change, Energy and Low-Carbon Development (International Recruited Staff (IRS))
Bogor, Indonesia OR Nairobi, Kenya
Scientist (National Recruited Staff (NRS))
Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
GLFx Communications Project Consultant (Consultancy)
Nairobi, Kenya or Bonn, Germany