Job status: Inactive
Job category: Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
Duty station: Bogor, Indonesia OR Nairobi, Kenya
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Team Leader, Climate Change, Energy and Low-Carbon Development
OverviewThe primary responsibilities of the CCE Team Leader are to identify strategic research opportunities related to forests, wetlands, trees and climate change (including REDD+, blue carbon, forest landscape restoration, ecosystem-based adaptation, fire management, climate smart agriculture, and climate information and services, among others); provide leadership and coordinate relevant research and budgets in this team; facilitate the efficient and effective implementation of CIFOR-ICRAF’s climate change work and ensure delivery and scientific quality of all engagements; coordinate and supervise CCE staff and consultants; and lead resource mobilization efforts for CCE in collaboration with colleagues across the organization. The CCE Team Leader reports to the Chief Scientist/Director of Science for line functions and overall strategic direction.
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead the scientific and implementation activities of CIFOR-ICRAF’s Climate Change, Energy and Low Carbon Development team, and connect to other thematic areas;
- Lead, coordinate and contribute to outcomes and impacts of relevant projects related to forests, wetlands, trees and climate change;
- Write and supervise publications and other scientific communications related to research activities.
- Supervise scientists and support staff in the CCE team and projects and support them in pursuing strategic priorities and delivering outcomes agreed in annual performance contracts;
- Foster teamwork and resolve any conflicts constructively;
- In collaboration with the CIFOR-ICRAF Director of Science and Chief Scientist, and other directors, plan and manage the CCE team’s annual budget and activities;
- Support the development and delivery of CIFOR-ICRAF Transformative Partnership Platforms, Engagement Landscapes and Flagship Products as and when necessary.
- Work with directors, other team leaders, the Resource Mobilization Team, country leaders and scientists to identify and develop strategies to secure funding to sustain and grow CIFOR-ICRAF’s climate change work;
- Maintain and further relationships with key funding partners;
- Lead and contribute to several large proposals per year in support of CIFOR-ICRAF’s interests.
- Support CIFOR-ICRAF Transformative Partnership Platforms focused on nature-based drawdown, circular bioeconomy and restoration, among others, to build alliances for actionable solutions;
- Maintain and further develop high-level relationships with key CIFOR-ICRAF partners and stakeholders, including national and subnational governments, multilateral, international and regional organisations, etc.
- In collaboration with other team leaders and scientists, ensure that information about CIFOR-ICRAF and the outcomes of its work are effectively conveyed to partners and target audiences.
- Lead, coordinate and contribute to the policy-science dialogues of relevant CCE projects;
- Represent CIFOR-ICRAF in national, regional and/or global science-policy dialogues or conferences and other meetings;
- Lead or contribute to submitting papers and panels for presentation at international conferences;
- Lead and supervise the capacity building initiatives of projects under implementation;
- Supervise students and junior scientists in their learning and professional development.
Education, knowledge and experience
- PhD in forestry, ecology, environmental sciences, or a related field, with at least 10 years of relevant experience in collaborative research for development;
- Strong publications record, especially in peer-reviewed publications;
- Track record in resource mobilization/fund raising and in proposal development/writing;
- Demonstrated research leadership on the effectiveness, efficiency, equity and co-benefits of forest and tree-based climate change initiatives;
- Experience in project management, including management of large budgets and many staff members and consultants;
- Experience working with multiple partners and in tropical countries;
- Fluency in English, and strong ability in one or more additional international language(s), with excellent writing skills.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Proven leadership and management with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, experienced in working with multicultural and multidisciplinary research teams;
- Excellent facilitation and teambuilding capacity;
- Competency in personal organization, priority setting and managing multiple tasks;
- Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
Terms and conditions
- This is a Global Recruited Position (GRP). CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in US dollars commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for 2 (two) years, inclusive of a six-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be in Bogor, Indonesia OR Nairobi, Kenya. To apply, please visit our career site at: https://www.cifor.org/careers To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Jul-2021
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Post Doctoral Fellow)
Consultant For a Review on Rights-Based Approaches in Climate Change, Conservation, and Development Initiatives (Consultancy)
GLFx Digital & Community Support Intern (Internship)
Home-based, preferably in CEST time zone or similar
Research Assistant - International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) (Local Position)
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso