Job Status: In-progress
Job Category: Consultancy
Duty Station: Bogor
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR-ICRAF are non-profit, scientific institutions that conduct research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. Our work focuses on innovative research, developing partners’ capacity, and actively engaging in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. Our work spans the globe, with expertise in the ‘global South’. Founded in 1993 and 1978 respectively, CIFOR-ICRAF began merging on January 1, 2019. They are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Consultant for Data Algorithm and Programming for Wildlife Trade
OverviewThe Trade, Development and the Environment Hub (TRADE Hub) project is a research network led by UNEP-WCMC that aims to overcome challenges surrounding trade in agricultural commodities and wildlife. Indonesia is one of the focus locations of the hub, where CIFOR leads activities with partner organizations (ICRAF, WCS, RCCC UI, IPB and Unila). TRADE Hub Indonesia focuses on two agricultural commodities (palm oil and coffee), as well as on trade in songbird species. The main goals of TRADE Hub activities in Indonesia are to address trade-offs in the global trading of palm oil and coffee and deliver benefits for the country whilst reducing adverse impacts on high-risk forested landscapes and rural communities.One of Trade Hub’s focuses in Indonesia is the online songbird trade where we aim to assess the online marketplace by combining a data mining approach with automatic supervised text classification in species identification, and to develop a cleaned and labelled baseline dataset for broader use and update flexibility.
Duties and responsibilities
- Working with the TRADE Hub WP1 team to develop a Python-based machine learning comparison model and text classification application using Pytorch libraries
- Developing a web-based interface from the Python-based application above
- Working with the TRADE Hub WP1 team to develop and review the existing dataset
- Developing a deployment plan and manual
- Engaging with the TRADE Hub team via weekly online meetings to plan project activities and discuss application and database development and methods
- Writing an application manual and contributing to paper or report writing.
Education, knowledge and experience
- A bachelor’s degree in natural science or data science. Fresh graduates are welcome to apply.
- Experience with Python environments, particularly Pytorch libraries and database management
- Experience with Python web application and development
- A good understanding of machine learning concepts and models.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- Good personal organizational and priority setting skills, with the ability to work effectively under time pressure and manage multiple priorities
- Capable of working independently as well as being an effective team player, with initiative and creativity
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to interact with people effectively in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment, and able to adapt to new normal conditions.
Terms and conditions
- This is a Full-time Consultancy position.
- Duration of assignment is 3 months.
- The duty station will be in Bogor, Indonesia.To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careersTo learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.orgCIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 03 Apr-2021
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
Based in Various Location,
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Based in Various location
Senior Scientist – Integrated Landscape Management (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
Based in Nairobi, Kenya or Bonn, Germany
GLF Partner Engagement Consultant (Consultancy)
Based in Home-based
Social Media Intern (Internship)
Based in Home-based
GLF Web Developer Consultant (Consultancy)
Based in Home-based, Indonesia