Job Status: In-progress
Job Category: Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya or Bonn
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR-ICRAF are non-profit, scientific institutions that conduct research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. Our work focuses on innovative research, developing partners’ capacity, and actively engaging in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. Our work spans the globe, with expertise in the ‘global South’. Founded in 1993 and 1978 respectively, CIFOR-ICRAF began merging on January 1, 2019. They are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Senior Scientist – Integrated Landscape Management
OverviewThe senior scientist will lead a 5-year project, entitled “Sustainable Integrated Landscape Management (SILM)”, led by a consortium comprised of CIFOR and ICRAF. The project involves the management, generation and dissemination of knowledge and lessons on the implementation of SILM initiatives under the European Commission’s Landscapes for the Future program. This program consists of 23 SILM initiatives, spread across more than 20 countries. The project offers technical backstopping and evaluation support to each of the country initiatives, and raises the visibility of the program and SILM more generally. The project endeavors to facilitate and support improved integrated landscape management (ILM) policymaking around the globe.The senior scientist will also contribute to other ILM-relevant projects, as well as to the development of CIFOR-ICRAF’s bilateral ILM project portfolio and a community of practice within the institutions.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop ILM evaluation frameworks and facilitate their integration into existing ILM frameworks, resulting in adoption of improved monitoring and reporting of ILM performance
- Coordinate monitoring missions to ILM initiatives, generating improved evidence on ILM performance (challenges)
- Oversee activities that help harvest and systematize knowledge and lessons from ILM implementation, producing comparative evidence that supports more effective implementation of (future) ILM initiatives
- Develop and distribute knowledge products, tools, guidelines and communication materials that help raise the visibility of target ILM initiatives and enable policymakers and practitioners to design and implement more impactful and durable ILM initiatives
- Develop a community of practice on ILM within CIFOR-ICRAF, including leading knowledge management and methods for development activities, to foster between-project complementarities and facilitate joint knowledge generation.
- Develop and manage a helpdesk offering technical support to ILM initiatives, resulting in more informed and capacitated ILM proponents
- Mentor partners, consultants, interns and (PhD) fellows involved in the project
- Coordinate the organization of external capacity development events on ILM development and implementation.
- Identify, organize and participate in relevant strategic regional and global events, platforms and policy initiatives in support of knowledge dissemination and policy impact
- Actively liaise with governmental, civic and development stakeholders in project countries towards policy/strategy impact
- Represent CIFOR within strategic policy spheres.
- Contribute to and lead ILM fundraising and new project development activities to ensure continuity of comparative ILM research
- Identify strategic opportunities for leveraging bilateral funding
- Strengthen existing relations and build new ones with potential donors
- Contribute to Value Chains, Finance and Investment (VFI) and other CIFOR-ICRAF fundraising activities in a collaborative spirit.
- Manage the SILM project, including coordinating timely budgeting, reporting and output delivery
- Maintain cordial and effective communications with existing project donors, notably the European Commission
- Maintain and develop relationships with research, development and boundary partners involved in the implementation of the Landscapes for the Future program.
Education, knowledge and experience
- PhD in relevant disciplinary field, including but not limited to geography, environmental management, anthropology, international relations, political science or development studies. Candidates with MSc degrees and considerable relevant professional experienced will also be considered.
- A minimum of seven years post-PhD professional experience within an international research organization, university or development agency working on integrated development planning, landscape approaches, supply chain sustainability and/or cross-sectoral partnerships towards sustainability. Candidates with MSc degrees should have more than 10 years of relevant experience.
- Significant demonstrated capabilities to manage research-for-impact projects independently
- Experience engaging in and informing national, regional and international policy processes
- Experience in developing scientific reports and policy and/or communication products
- Experience in proposal development/writing, partnership management and fundraising
- Experience with multi-stakeholder engagement and initiatives
- Experience managing EC-funded projects is an advantage
- Excellent written and spoken English. Proficiency in French or Spanish is an advantage.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills
- Management and organizational skills, experience in project coordination and management
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to interact effectively with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment
- Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning
- Willingness to travel internationally as required.
Terms and conditions
- This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in USD, commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for a period of 2 years, inclusive of a 6-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- Depending on candidate preference, the duty station will be in Nairobi, Kenya or Bonn, Germany.
To apply, please visit our career site at: https://www.cifor.org/careers
To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Mar-2021
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
Based in Various Location,
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Based in Various location
PhD Position in Economics of Tropical Deforestation (Post Doctoral Fellow)
Research Officer on Sustainable Domestic Value Chains of Wildlife, Timber and Cocoa (Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS))
Based in Yaounde, Cameroon
Sustainable Finance Junior Consultant (Consultancy)
Based in Home-based
GLF Social Media Junior Consultant (Consultancy)
Based in Home-based
GLF Social Media Consultant (Consultancy)
Based in Home-based
Human Resources Management Information Systems Specialist (Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS))
Based in Nairobi, Kenya or Bogor, Indonesia
Compensation and Benefits Specialist (Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS))
Based in Nairobi, Kenya or Bogor, Indonesia