Job status: Inactive
Job category: Internship
Duty station: Bonn, Stadt, Germany
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Youth in Landscapes Network Intern
OverviewThe Global Landscapes Forum is the world’s largest intersectoral platform designed to examine knowledge, share experiences and accelerate action by communities as they invest in and move toward more resilient, climate friendly, diverse, productive, equitable and, thereby, sustainable landscapes. Founded by CIFOR, UN Environment and the World Bank, and with core funding provided by the German Government, the Global Landscapes Forum is scaling up to engage one billion people in realizing their local priorities, while at the same time contributing significantly toward the overall achievement of the sustainable development goals (SDGs) and climate agenda. Since 2013, over 25,000 stakeholders from more than 3000 organizations and 110 countries have engaged with the GLF both in person and online, with stakeholders from community and indigenous people’s organizations, finance, civil society, government, media and youth groups. The GLF Community is founded on four principles: connecting, sharing, learning and acting. Our vision considers people first and recognizes that people acting together drive change. The GLF believes in the unique change-making capacity of young people and seeks to foster a strong youth community of practice through the Youth in Landscapes Initiative and the execution of youth-led programs. The Youth in Landscapes Initiative (YIL) is a partnership for young landscape leaders currently coordinated by the Young Professionals for Agricultural Development (YPARD), the International Forestry Students Association (IFSA) and the Global AgroEcology Alliance (GAEA). YIL exists to unite and empower youth (aged 18-35 years) from diverse backgrounds around the world to have a voice, learn and affect positive change in their landscapes and livelihoods. YIL accomplishes this through a focus on leadership training, capacity building, community building, mentorship and fostering intergenerational dialogue.
Duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate regularly with the Youth in Landscapes Steering Committee and GLF Youth Coordinator;
- Assist in creating and delivering youth programs both at GLF events (and other partner’s events), as well as youth long term programs, coordinating with the broader GLF team;
- Assist in mainstreaming of youth initiatives and programmes across GLF activities;
- Assist coordination of YIL project teams;
- Maintain all Youth in Landscapes pages on the GLF website;
- Maintain and facilitate engagement and network building on social media (YIL FB groups and page, YIL Twitter);
- Craft communications material and regularly promote new opportunities;
- Assist in knowledge management and regularly update activities and information of YIL partners’ organizations - IFSA, YPARD, GAEA, and others;
- Lead outreach to associate partners and youth organizations;
- Undertake other key tasks and administration related to young people and GLF as they rise.
Education, knowledge and experience
- Currently enrolled in, or recently obtained, an M.Sc. on Sustainable Development, Nature Conservation, or similar field;
- Strong organizational and communication skills;
- Experience with online engagement, youth organizations, capacity development, or event-management is an asset;
- Experience with WordPress and social media is an asset;
- Experienced and/or comfortable with remote work.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Creative and passionate about changing the world;
- Be self-motivated, resourceful and energetic;
- Be able to find creative solutions;
- Value attention to detail;
- Be a team player with great interpersonal communications skills;
- Have a proven ability to work well under pressure.
Terms and conditions
- This is an internship opportunity for 9 months.
- CIFOR’s employment conditions follow local labor laws and regulations. CIFOR will employ suitable candidates regardless of nationality, provided that they comply with the local requirements for working at the posting location.
- CIFOR may provide the Intern with a monthly stipend or living allowance. The stipend or living allowance provided to the Intern shall follow the rate used by the Human Resources Unit for Interns at CIFOR.
- Work location: Home-based, with a possibility to work from the Bonn office if required. To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careers To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Jan-2021
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Youth in Landscapes Network Intern (Internship)
Consultant for Practical and Technical Concepts of Reduced Impact Logging in Democratic Republic of Congo (Consultancy)
Yanonge Village, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Internal Auditor (Local Position)