Job Status: In-progress
Job Category: Consultancy
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR-ICRAF are non-profit, scientific institutions that conduct research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. Our work focuses on innovative research, developing partners’ capacity, and actively engaging in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. Our work spans the globe, with expertise in the ‘global South’. Founded in 1993 and 1978 respectively, CIFOR-ICRAF began merging on January 1, 2019. They are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Consultant for Scientific Writing
OverviewCarbon-rich tropical wetland ecosystems, including peatlands, are considered as high priorities in climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies throughout the world. The SWAMP project proposes a research/capacity building project to quantify carbon stocks, emissions, baselines and approaches to their monitoring, reporting and verification in forested tropical wetlands. The specific project objectives are to• quantify greenhouse gas emissions arising from intact wetland forests and sites that have undergone land cover change and degradation; • quantify the carbon stocks of representative tropical forested wetlands of the world and associated land uses; • develop ecosystem C dynamics modeling tools suitable for tropical wetlands and scale up measurements to landscape, province or country levels using remote sensing approaches; • quantify and define roles of tropical wetland ecosystems in climate change adaptation and develop potential scenarios for their inclusion in climate change adaptive strategies; • incorporate approaches to capacity building and outreach as an integral part of all research and technical transfer activities.CIFOR’s support to the SWAMP project seeks to fill these objectives by understanding how peat forest degradation and conversion to oil palm plantation in Indonesia may affect the stocks of carbon and the discharge of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere.The consultant will analyze a dataset of soil fluxes of N2O and environmental parameters (rainfall, air and soil temperature, soil moisture, water table depth, litterfall rate, etc.) collected along a forest to oil palm plantation transition in Sumatra, Indonesia. The consultant will produce a scientific article on the magnitude and controls of soil N2O emission changes associated with peat swamp forest degradation and conversion to oil palm plantation.
Duties and responsibilities
- complete and proceed to quality control of the databases of measurements collected in situ and in vitro by the project, proceed to statistical analysis of the data and write a summary of main results and conclusions, including tables and figures;
- produce the outline for the scientific paper based on the results and conclusions, write the methods, discussion and introduction sections of the paper and finalize with the abstract;
- address comments on the manuscript made by co-authors and submit the paper to an international peer-reviewed journal;
- address comments on the manuscript by reviewers of the journal and co-authors and resubmit the paper for its final publication.
Education, knowledge and experience
- master’s degree in forestry, natural resources, soil science or relevant field (PhD would be an advantage)
- knowledge of soil fluxes of greenhouse gases and affecting variables
- good writing skills (first author of at least two papers published in an international peer-reviewed journal)
- excellent spoken and written English
- good knowledge of statistics.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- organizational skills
- rigorous and autonomous
- interpersonal and communication skills
Terms and conditions
- This is a Part-time consultancy position.
- CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
- The consultancy period is for 8 months beginning in February 2021.
- Working location: Home-based.To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careersTo learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.orgCIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 10 Jan-2021
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
Based in Various Location,
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Based in Various location
Youth in Landscapes Network Intern (Internship)
Based in Bonn, Stadt, Germany