Job Status: In-progress
Job Category: Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
Duty Station: Bogor
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR-ICRAF are non-profit, scientific institutions that conduct research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. Our work focuses on innovative research, developing partners’ capacity, and actively engaging in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. Our work spans the globe, with expertise in the ‘global South’. Founded in 1993 and 1978 respectively, CIFOR-ICRAF began merging on January 1, 2019. They are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
OverviewCIFOR-ICRAF has led a research portfolio on the roles of wetlands (peatlands and mangroves) in climate change adaptation and mitigation for almost a decade. CIFOR-ICRAF’s leading role and global partnerships on these matters has been widely recognized and continues to be challenging. In the context of Nature-Based Solutions to climate change, research on wetlands has been identified as necessary to help generate new knowledge leading to transformative change. The impact pathway is obvious, therefore a scientist position focused on wetlands is key for CIFOR-ICRAF.
Duties and responsibilities
- Supports the generation of knowledge on the sustainable management of tropical wetlands (peatlands and mangroves) for development and climate mitigation and adaptation
- Coordinates and scientifically supervises research assistants and consultants working on these topics
- Develops and promotes global wetlands database
- Conducts training for practitioners, government officials and civil society;
- Organizes science-policy workshops to bridge gaps and improve dialogues on relevant subjects.
- Publishes scientific papers and communicates with the scientific community;
- Uses multi-media and social media for outreach to the general public;
- Participates in national and global events related to land-use change and forestry activities, wetlands and climate change;
- Works with CIFOR-ICRAF’s communications team to support media by informing new knowledge and improving capacity.
- Engages in fundraising for CIFOR-ICRAF’s research area of tropical wetlands;
- Works with other scientists and research development and partnership specialists to prepare joint proposals.
Education, knowledge and experience
- PhD in ecology, environmental science, and preferably wetland science with strong publication record especially in peer-reviewed journals
- 5 years’ experience in managing research projects globally
- Experience engaging with scientific community in general and those having similar field in particular
- Experience in involvement in the body of works dealing with wetlands (peatlands and mangroves)
- Have the capacity and proven skill in publishing scientific work in peer-reviewed journals and other scientific media
- Experience working with multiple partners and in tropical countries.
- Capable of running and interpreting statistical software such as SPSS, R
- Fluency in English, and strong ability in one or more additional international language(s), with excellent writing skills.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- Spatial analysis and modelling skill
- Familiar with numerical modeling tools, sensitivity analysis
Terms and conditions
- This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in USD, commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for a period of 2 years, inclusive of a 9-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.To apply, please visit our career site at: http://www.cifor.org/careersTo learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.orgCIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Dec-2020
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
Based in Various Location,
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Based in Various location
Science Communications Intern (Internship)
Based in Home-based
Consultant to Support the Editing of the State of the Forest Report (Consultancy)
Based in Yaoundé, Cameroon
Research Assistant (Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS))
Based in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso