Job Status: In-progress
Job Category: Consultancy
Duty Station: Manoka
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR-ICRAF are non-profit, scientific institutions that conduct research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. Our work focuses on innovative research, developing partners’ capacity, and actively engaging in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. Our work spans the globe, with expertise in the ‘global South’. Founded in 1993 and 1978 respectively, CIFOR-ICRAF began merging on January 1, 2019. They are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Consultant for Facilitating the GML Project on the Sustainable and Profitable Management of Mangrove Fuelwood
OverviewFunded by the European Union and coordinated by the Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR), GML is a four-year project implemented in sub-Saharan Africa to minimize knowledge, technical and policy gaps with the overall impacts of the FLEGT Action Plan, and on the other hand, land and forest governance, informal and illegal trade in fuelwood products, deforestation caused by exploitation of raw materials and sustainable landscape management, and improvement of the living conditions of the populations. Within this framework, the first analyses of fuelwood data in the Littoral region of Cameroon have shown that a large proportion of the fuelwood comes from mangrove ecosystems. The Douala 6 Sub-Division with Manoka as headquarters, is considered the main fish-smoking zone; an activity that results in wanton exploitation of mangrove wood which will eventually upset the agroecological zone concerned. In a bid to minimize the negative impacts of the exploitation of mangrove wood through fish smoking, CIFOR has initiated partnerships with the University of Douala (ENSET) and the NGO Cameroon Ecology (Cam-Eco). The main objective is to influence the level of wood use by improving current fish-smoking systems and to develop standards for sustainable mangrove management in application of Plan Vivo standards.
Duties and responsibilities
- Participate in the development/revision of the Manoka Community Forest SMP
- Participate in the formulation of guidelines for sustainable use of mangrove wood and fish smoking with the AFUMA association
- Support activities related to the Plan Vivo standards
- Enforce and monitor performance testing and dissemination of the improved smokehouse model set up on the island
- Contribute to women's capacity building on improved fish-smoking techniques and environmental management
- Facilitate preparations for the workshop on gender on the island
- Support the structuring of female fish smokers
- Help to compare the outputs obtained with the various types of existing fish smokehouses (quantities of fish smoked, time, quality of fish, etc.)
- Prepare a bimonthly/monthly report of project activities in the zone
- Make proposals to increase the project's results in the zone
- Execute any other tasks assigned by the project team.
Education, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in awareness raising, social outreach and empowering community groups
- Have a good command of the languages spoken on the island (Pidgin, mostly, and French)
- Have a good mastery of the geography of the island of Manoka
- Have good organizational and reporting skills
- Have the ability to work efficiently and under pressure
Terms and conditions
- This is a Full-time Consultancy position.
- Duration of assignment is 11 months.
- The duty station will be in Manoka, Cameroon.To apply, please visit our career site at: https://www.cifor.org/careers/To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at: https://www.cifor.orgCIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 12 Oct-2020
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (International)
Based in Various Location
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Based in Various location
French - English Translator (Consultancy)
Based in Home-based
Spanish - English Translator (Consultancy)
Based in Home-based
Communications Specialist (Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS))
Based in Bonn, Stadt, Germany
Consultant for the Assessment of a Project in Bioenergy Production on Degraded Land in Indonesia (Consultancy)
Based in Home-based, Indonesia
Field Project Facilitator (Consultancy)
Based in Bolgatanga, Ghana
Social Safeguards Consultant (Consultancy)
Based in Livingston, Zambia