Job status: Inactive
Job category: Consultancy
Duty station: Home-based
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
French - English Translator
Overviewblogs and websites to corporate reports. These products are translated into multiple main languages (Indonesian, Spanish, French, German and Portuguese). In order to maintain high levels of quality science, disseminate it around the world and ensure its accessibility in different countries, CIFOR is recruiting a translator to work with the Information and Communications Group and review its English language products before release. The translator will help to ensure CIFOR’s editorial standards are applied correctly across all products.
Duties and responsibilities
Education, knowledge and experience
- Master’s degree, preferably in environmental, agriculture, forestry or related fields
- A minimum of three to five years’ experience working as a French to English translator for international development organizations or similar
- Native speaker of English with excellent verbal and written skills in both French and English
- A mastery of technical terminology in the fields of forestry and the environment
- Experience and ability to provide interpretation in a research setting
- Excellent spelling and grammar, and proofreading and editing skills
- Fundamental knowledge and experience working with Microsoft Office and Internet tools
Personal attributes and competencies
- An ability to use initiative in a variety of interesting contexts
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to work independently to meet deadlines and adhere to quality standards
- Have enthusiasm for acquiring knowledge
- Have high levels of sociocultural competence and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Be self-driven, self-directed, self-motivated and independent, particularly if working as a freelancer
- Be creative and passionate about changing the world
- Have a proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment and take the initiative
Terms and conditions
- This is a part-time consultancy position.
- CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience.
- Working location: Home-based. To apply, please visit our career site at: https://www.cifor.org/careers To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at: https://www.cifor.org CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 03 Oct-2020
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
IUAF Secretary-General (external position) (Global Position)
Prague, Czech Republic
Consultant - Statistical Analyst for Analyzing the consumption of Wild Meat in Central Africa (Consultancy)
Social Media Consultant (Consultancy)
Bonn, Stadt, Germany
Consultant - GLF Speakers Coordinator (Consultancy)
Chief Executive Officer (Global position)
BOGOR, INDONESIA; NAIROBI, KENYA; OR OTHER LOCATIONS