Job Status: Inactive
Job Category: Consultancy
Duty Station: Home-based
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Consultants for Data Collection for Stories of Change related to CIFOR’s Global Comparative Study on REDD+
OverviewCIFOR’s Global Comparative Study (GCS) for achieving effective, efficient and equitable REDD+ results works with research partners and stakeholders in eight focus countries (Brazil, DRC, Ethiopia, Guyana, Indonesia, Myanmar, Peru and Vietnam) to ensure that REDD+ policymakers and practitioner communities have access to and use the information, analysis and tools needed to design and implement REDD+; to create enabling conditions; and to assess the degree to which REDD+ has delivered carbon and non-carbon benefits (https://www2.cifor.org/gcs/about-gcs-redd/). The project combines research, in-country capacity building and policy engagement at sub-national, national, and international levels. The project is structured into four research modules and one knowledge-sharing module designed to deliver salient, credible and legitimate knowledge products that address important gaps in REDD+ policy design and implementation. Through knowledge co-production, project partners develop their technical capacity to address policy and implementation challenges and assist in the dissemination, multiplication and uptake of research results. The project builds on two previous phases of GCS REDD+, which demonstrated the catalytic potential of combining research, capacity building, and partner engagement to bridge the science-policy divide.Objectives of the assignment As a major component of its Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Impact Assessment (MELIA) strategy, the program prepares “Stories of Change” (SoC) for different interventions performed by GCS REDD+. These stories are short narrative illustrations of how research and engagement activities facilitated change towards the overarching project goals, and highlight relevant unanticipated results. They also strive to identify impact beyond the project, acknowledging that such impact can be supported by the research and engagement activities of previous or parallel projects to GCS REDD+. The stories will eventually be published as 4-page CIFOR infobriefs. SoCs are envisaged to be developed for CIFOR’s work relating to forest and wetland monitoring in Guyana, Indonesia and Peru, along with policy support in Ethiopia, Indonesia, Peru and Vietnam.The SoCs will be prepared along intervention-specific Theories of Change (ToCs) to address the following main question: Did the research and engagement achieve intended outcomes, and can long-term impacts be expected? What lessons were learned about policy engagement?_____________________________________ See evaluation report of phases 1 and 2, performed by the Overseas Development Institute, accessible via http://www.cifor.org/library/6021/informing-redd-policy-an-assessment-of-cifors-global-comparative-study/.
Duties and responsibilities
- Supporting the RTI team in customizing standard semi-structured interview questions
- Translating interview questions into the national language, where relevant
- Coordinating with the CIFOR scientific team to consolidate interviewee contact details
- Contacting interview informants and scheduling interview times, with the support of CIFOR scientists and the RTI team
- Conducting and digitally recording 5-10 online interviews with relevant government and non-government actors at national and sub-national levels
- Tracking all completed interviews and coordinating with the RTI team to revise and update the informant list as needed
- Transcribing the interviews in English
- Summarizing the main results
- Participate in a virtual kickoff meeting with the research team at the beginning of the assignment to become familiar with the SoC theory of change
- Participate in a virtual sense-making discussion with the research team after the interviews are conducted.
Education, knowledge and experience
- A master’s level qualification in social sciences including exposure to qualitative research methods
- 3 years’ experience in conducting qualitative data collection
- Experience working with qualitative data to address research questions in a structured way
- Fluent English and relevant national language skills
- Evaluation experience preferred
- Technical experts with a strong knowledge of issues related to forests and climate change, REDD+ policies and policy impact evaluation are preferred.
Terms and conditions
- This is a Part-time Consultancy position.
- Duration of assignment is 6 weeks.
- Work location: Home-based in Ethiopia / Guyana/ Indonesia/ Peru/ Vietnam (depending on the focal Story of Change)To apply, please visit our career site at: https://www.cifor.org/careers/To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at: https://www.cifor.orgCIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 06 Sep-2020
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (International)
Based in Various Location
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Based in Various location
French - English Translator (Consultancy)
Based in Home-based
Spanish - English Translator (Consultancy)
Based in Home-based
Research Consultant on Bioenergy for a Circular Economy in Peri-Urban Areas in Developing Countries (Consultancy)
Based in Bonn, Germany
Consultant for Facilitating the GML Project on the Sustainable and Profitable Management of Mangrove Fuelwood (Consultancy)
Based in Manoka, Cameroon