Job Status: In-progress
Job Category: Internship
Duty Station: Home-based,
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Knowledge Hub Database Management Intern
OverviewThe Global Landscapes Forum is the world’s largest platform designed to examine knowledge, share experiences and accelerate action by communities as they invest in and move towards more sustainable and inclusive landscapes. Founded by CIFOR, UN Environment, and the World Bank, and with core funding provided by the German government, the Global Landscapes Forum is scaling-up to engage one billion people to prioritize local landscapes and communities, while at the same time contributing significantly towards the overall achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and Paris Climate Agreement. Since 2013, over 180,000 stakeholders from more than 4400 organizations and 185 countries have engaged with the GLF both in person and online, with stakeholders from community and Indigenous Peoples’ organizations, finance, civil society, government, media and youth. The GLF is founded on four principles: connecting, sharing, learning and acting.Collaborative platforms, outreach, knowledge and learning The GLF works over four major pillars or activities: a Knowledge Hub overseeing operations in its events and (social) media-related operations and the Learning Lab. Organized around five cross-cutting themes (restoration, rights, food and livelihoods, finance and measuring progress), the Knowledge Hub is a one-stop-shop for everything related to the knowledge base of GLF. It contains an ever-expanding library of scientific publications, white papers, presentations, infographics, and more. The Knowledge hub is also responsible for coordinating the Knowledge Committee as well as the content of all GLF events, writing concept notes and aligning with charter members and partners co-organizing knowledge sessions, national dialogues, workshops or side events.The GLF Learning Lab develops the capacity of GLF’s wide-ranging stakeholders directly, allowing for increased uptake and scaling of sustainable landscape approaches and accelerated action at local levels. Its main activities are organized around the Landscape Academy, harboring a series of online and face-to-face courses; as well as customized learning events, curriculum development support and access to a global network of grounded learning communities. The Learning Lab and the Knowledge Hub are directly connected, ensuring that the GLF Community of Practice is continually increasing its capacity to accelerate action.
Duties and responsibilities
- Assisting in the organizing and consolidation of the GLF Knowledge Hub , thereby increasing the searchability of videos, podcasts, infographics, white papers and more. The intern will be responsible for reviewing products, writing catchy titles and descriptions, and entering metadata that will structure the library and optimize the search capacities on the GLF website;
- Curating the knowledge library. Building on point 1 above, the intern will work with the knowledge and communications teams to establish the most engaging and relevant knowledge products to combine into curated packages or editorial picks. The intern will also have the opportunity to identify and source appropriate knowledge products from Charter Members and partners and assist in any co-created knowledge products; and
- Having led the restructuring of the knowledge library and the creation of knowledge packages and editorial content, the intern will develop knowledge and learning packages for key “personas” in the GLF community. This could range from knowledge for local change-makers, policy makers, investors, educators and landscape practitioners. In this final phase, the intern will work across communications, youth and GLFx teams.
Education, knowledge and experience
- Master’s student or recently graduated in communications, marketing, documentary, writing, environment, social studies or related disciplines;
- Understanding of WordPress CMS: in particular, an understanding of categories, tags, taxonomies and basic database schema;
- An ability to identify useful and relevant knowledge, and understand the different needs of a broad community;
- Fluent in English. A French or Spanish speaker is desirable;
- Knowledge of Python, Java or another programming language is desirable; and
- An avid listener of podcasts or consumer of YouTube videos is desirable.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- Be creative and passionate about changing the world;
- Have a fearless attitude and be open to learning;
- Have a proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment and take the initiative;
- Should be well organized and able to work efficiently under time pressure; and
- Have a commitment to inclusive learning.
Terms and conditions
- Period of internship: 6 months.
- CIFOR’s employment conditions follow local labor laws and regulations. CIFOR will employ a suitable candidate regardless of nationality, provided that he/she complies with the local requirements for working at the posting location.
- Working location: Home basedTo apply, please visit our career site at: https://www.cifor.org/careersTo learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at: https://www.cifor.orgCIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Jul-2020
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (International)
Based in Various Location,
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Based in Various location,
GLF Social Media Intern (Internship)
Based in Home-based, preferably in Bonn, Germany
English – German Translator (Consultancy)
Based in Home-based, but preferably in Europe,