Job Category: International
Duty Station: Various Location,
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
General Call for Applications - Science Roster
OverviewThe Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) advances human wellbeing, environmental conservation and equity by conducting research to inform policies and practices that affect forests in developing countries. We are one of 15 CGIAR Consortium research centres. Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, and we have offices in Asia, Africa and South America.CIFOR is looking for Scientists, Senior Scientists, and Post Doc Fellows for upcoming positionsOverview CIFOR seeks expressions of interest from qualified candidates in the following thematic specializations:
- Environmental Economics/Value Chains,
- Financial Governance,
- Forest Law Enforcement,
- Governance and Trade (FLEGT),
- Land and Forest Tenure Reforms,
- Carbon and Greenhouse Gas Measurement,
- Human Demography/Epidemiology,
- Landscape Ecology,
- Soil Science,
- Environmental History,
- Senior Gender expertise.
Duties and responsibilitiesRequired Competencies
- Provide scientific guidance; ensuring that research concepts and methods are appropriate and meet the highest scientific standards and reflect up-to-date scientific methods and concepts.
- Collaborate closely with theme coordinators/leaders, within CIFOR, to define and implement research activities in emerging interest areas.
- Write and supervise publications and other scientific communications.
- Lead/Supervise project capacity building initiatives.
- Supervise students and staff and mentor junior project scientists.
- Represent CIFOR, when appropriate, in national, regional, and global forums related to forest governance.
- Develop/Maintain constructive partnerships with stakeholders.
- Lead search for additional funding in relevant research areas.
- Plan/Monitor research activities, including financing, as necessary.
- Lead/Coordinate/Contribute to donor reporting.
Education, knowledge and experience
- PhD in relevant discipline;
- Experience in collaborative natural resource management or social science research. More senior positions require the ability to manage projects simultaneously and expertise in more than one region with the ability to work across countries and continents.
- Experience successfully developing budgets. Scientist positions require budget management success on multiple projects and the ability to ensure key financial objectives are met.
- Publications record, especially in peer reviewed publications; required.
- Demonstrated experience in resource mobilization/fundraising and in proposal development/writing. Scientist positions require the ability to provide conceptual leadership and oversight in fundraising and a successful track record obtaining donor funding for research proposals.
- Fluent spoken and written English. Ability in one or more international language(s) is an advantage.
- Past effectiveness working with multiple partners and coordinating/participating in research and fieldwork in developing countries.
- Demonstrated experience working in multicultural and multidisciplinary research teams. Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
Terms and conditions
- Competitive remuneration in US dollars commensurate with skills and experience.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Dec-2025
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Apply this job Download
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Based in Various location,