The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Team Leader, Digital and Editorial Services
The Team Leader, Digital and Editorial Services, plays a unique leadership role and brings creative thinking and project management skills to one of the world’s leading science communication programs. She/he will be responsible for taking the program to the next level by creating and implementing an innovative digital strategy for marketing and delivering CIFOR knowledge products to its global stakeholders. She/he will also serve as the editorial director and manage the roster of editors and the publishing team while maintaining the highest editorial standards and ensuring cost-efficiency and effectiveness.
The Team Leader, Digital and Editorial Services, leads a highly motivated and skilled team of staff and consultants — science writer/editor, webmasters, graphic artists, production and printing specialists — and a roster of freelance research editors and translators. The production team (3 staff and multiple consultants) publishes more than 400 research publications each year (including editing, translating, layout, and printing), as well as outreach materials such as flyers, booth designs, etc. The web team (4 staff and multiple consultants) manages some 30 websites and sub-sites, including CIFOR.org, which attracts more than 1 million views each year. The incumbent is accountable for the editorial quality and branding of all content published by CIFOR.
This role will suit a leader who is dedicated to improving editorial standards, who can manage workflow and deliver effective policies, procedures and systems, and can think creatively and strategically for the conceptualization and delivery of high-quality technical and communications products. It requires an understanding of publishing processes, design principles, and web publishing, although detailed technical know-how or expertise is not essential. The ideal candidate will also have a flair for editing and proofreading and be able to work in a fast-paced environment with a team of high-performing and dedicated staff.
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage web and print production teams to maximize their productivity, innovation and outputs in support of CIFOR’s communications strategy and the broader strategy.
- Provide strategic advice and support to CIFOR and FTA scientists, Team Leaders and senior management to develop communication strategies and tactics that facilitate the uptake of research outputs, and highlight CIFOR accomplishments in support of resource mobilization efforts.
- Lead the transition of, and implement new procedures, to support the change of the Digital and Editorial unit budget management from unrestricted funding to full cost recovery.
- Monitor and report on CIFOR Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), and maintain and increase performance on KPIs related to COE unit.
- Manage workflow, plans and budgets to ensure all outputs are produced cost-efficiently and according to predetermined timelines.
- Oversee science writers/editors and ensure that content is delivered at the highest quality and according to requirements; also provide writing and editing assistance as required.
- Oversee FTA strategic communication planning and supervise FTA Communication and Editorial Coordinator.
- Organize and lead regular editorial meetings, and provide editorial direction to all COE units for better strategic alignment, reach and impact of information and knowledge products.
- Oversee all publishing at CIFOR
- Work closely with team members to ensure that design is an integral part of the messaging process for each output. Be responsible for the quality of all team outputs.
- Strategize on how to best use all CIFOR’s digital platforms. Develop and regularly update a digital roadmap for CIFOR that links all its digital assets and maximizes readership to each.
- Redesign CIFOR’s website and lead the development and implementation of a new comprehensive digital platform and e-learning module that offer visitors multiple pathways to access CIFOR research outputs.
- Develop, update and ensure compliance with CIFOR and FTA editorial guidelines, publication guidelines, branding guidelines, open access guidelines, and prepare communication products as required for events.
- Provide strategic advice to senior management in the design and oversee Events Officer in the execution of CIFOR’s Annual Meeting.
- Be responsible for the monitoring and evaluation of CIFOR’s digital platforms and downloads and regularly provide analysis and recommendations for improvements.
- Act as the lead within COE on all matters to do with publishing, branding and donor acknowledgment.
- Develop and constantly update a global roster of cost-efficient, high-quality freelance writers, editors, translators, designers, web programmers and others.
- Manage the unit’s budgets.
- Establish and enforce editorial policies and procedures. Assist in the elaboration of and regularly update publishing guidelines for staff and consultants working with content development.
- Work closely with scientists and stakeholders in development and production of appropriate research publications and outputs.
- Liaise with the Information Services Manager on CGIAR open access and other areas of collaboration between the web services and library services.
- Collaborate closely with colleagues in COE in constantly monitoring, reviewing, adapting the Center’s communication strategy to meet and surpass clear targets.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master’s degree or equivalent in publishing, editing, or a related field;
• At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in editing, design and print and/or electronic publishing at the international level. Experience in the areas of environmental sciences, culture and/or science is an asset;
• Demonstrated familiarity with print and digital publication processes;
• Have a strong editorial background and understanding of what makes for good design and writing experience with managing workflow and developing internal policies;
• At least 3 years’ experience of managing teams and budgets;
• Fluency in English essential; other languages an advantage.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Be self-motivated and welcome the opportunity to work with significant autonomy;
• Resourceful and skilled at creative problem solving;
• Enjoy managing multiple projects and proven ability to keep track of multiple deliverables at once;
• Be able to strategize at both macro and micro levels;
• Be a team player and have outstanding interpersonal communications skills;
• Strong client service approach;
• Proven ability to work well under pressure.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in United States Dollars (USD), commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of 2 years, including a 9-month probation period, with the possibility of extension depending on performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR Headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our careers site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Apr-2018
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.