The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer
CIFOR is committed to both strengthening and providing credible evidence of the translation of its research, engagement and capacity-strengthening efforts into tangible development outcomes. It also aims to demonstrate its contributions to CGIAR’s Strategic Results Framework (SRF) and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). CIFOR’s internal Research to Impact (RTI) team is responsible for developing and implementing appropriate methodologies to deliver on these objectives.
In support of this, CIFOR is systematically integrating outcome-oriented planning and monitoring into its bilaterally funded and flagship research projects. The RTI team is seeking an appropriately skilled Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer to support the RTI team leader in integrating outcome-focused monitoring and learning into CIFOR’s research portfolio.
Duties and responsibilities
- supporting the CIFOR RTI team to refine and implement a suite of monitoring tools
- supporting research project teams to collect and manage required monitoring information
- conducting qualitative and quantitative surveys as needed
- undertaking qualitative and quantitative data analysis
- supporting information synthesis across CIFOR’s monitoring and evaluation work to support institutional learning
- supporting the theory of change planning processes at project inception or in preparation for project evaluation
- undertaking literature reviews to investigate common project assumptions in CIFOR’s theories of change
- maintaining CIFOR and FTA monitoring data information systems and support CGIAR annual outcome and impact reporting
- supporting additional RTI team institutional tasks as required.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master’s degree in development studies, social sciences, psychology or economics
• a minimum 5 years of relevant working experience including 3 years with bilateral and international overseas development assistance-funded projects
• statistical analysis and narrative report writing skills
• experience conducting and analyzing semi-structured interviews
• strong written and spoken English
• knowledge of theory of change and experience in developing project and programmatic theories of change is preferable
• experience developing monitoring frameworks or conducting evaluations is preferable.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• good personal organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks
• capable of working independently as well as being an effective team player, with initiative and creativity
• good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
• values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in Indonesian rupiah (IDR), commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of 2 years, inclusive of a six (6)-month probation period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Apr-2018
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.