The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Impact Assessment Specialist
CIFOR is committed to both strengthening and credibly evidencing the translation of its research, engagement and capacity-strengthening efforts into tangible development impacts, particularly in relation to CGIAR’s Strategic Results Framework (SRF) and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). CIFOR’s internal Research to Impact (RTI) team is responsible for developing and implementing appropriate methodologies to deliver on this objective.
The RTI team is seeking an appropriately skilled, senior Impact Assessment Specialist to support the RTI team leader in the management and coordination of CIFOR’s planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning portfolio. The position will share responsibility for supporting the strategic coordination and alignment of CIFOR’s research portfolio with institutional and international results frameworks, embedding an impact-oriented culture across CIFOR and building an evidence base for how CIFOR’s transdisciplinary research is contributing to development outcomes.
Duties and responsibilities
The position of the MEIA Specialist will support the delivery and implementation of CIFOR’s Planning, Monitoring and Learning strategy with a particular focus on CIFOR’s impact evaluation portfolio (ex post, ex ante and foresight). The position will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Provide the technical lead for CIFOR’s quantitative impact assessment portfolio, encompassing work at the project, program and institutional levels.
- Co-develop appropriate methods, tools and protocols to enhance CIFOR’s ability to robustly assess its contribution to complex, long-term change processes.
- Design, oversee and/or lead impact assessments as required.
- Support project and programmatic design to ensure that transdisciplinary research quality principles are reflected.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of project and programmatic Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) plans, including conceptual framework, methods and tool development.
- Contribute to the management and reporting of project output and outcome information through a common entry point.
- Follow up on implementation of evaluations and evaluation recommendations to ensure the optimal use of evaluation findings by project teams and future project designs.
- Consolidate the use of appropriate knowledge monitoring and evaluation tools.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master’s degree in development economics, econometrics, applied sociology or similar field; a PhD is an advantage
• minimum 5 years’ experience in monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment and in project management and partnership roles
• experience conducting econometric analysis as part of rigorous impact evaluation of land use policies, programs and interventions
• experience conducting econometric analysis with a focus on experimental or quasi-experimental approaches
• superior knowledge of best practices and current trends in large project portfolio management, monitoring and evaluation
• experience working with bilateral and international overseas development assistance funded projects
• experience conducting behavioral and institutional studies or knowledge of behavioral statistics preferable
• native speaker level fluency in English is required; proficiency in French is preferable
• staff management experience preferable.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• good personal organizational and priority-setting skills, with the ability to manage multiple priorities
• proven track record of working with diverse partners to solve problems and achieve shared goals
• capable of working independently as well as being an effective team player, with initiative and creativity
• good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
• values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning
• excellent facilitation and team-building capacity.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of 2 years, inclusive of a nine (9)-month probation period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at HQ in Bogor, Indonesia or one of CIFOR’s hub locations in Lima, Peru or Nairobi, Kenya.
To apply, please visit our career site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Apr-2018
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.