Job status: In-progress
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Research Assistant - International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) is looking to recruit a Research Assistant to help conduct activities under the Poultry losses and One Health project (POLOH) in the ILRI office in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. ILRI works to improve food security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for better and more sustainable use of livestock. ILRI is a CGIAR research centre – part of a global research partnership for a food-secure future www.cgiar.org. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa.
Poultry disease in Burkina Faso can negatively affect human health and constrains the productivity of the poultry market. By developing interventions that improve farm and market practices, provide education and training, and test business models that can enhance value chain linkages, the poultry sector can become safer and more productive. The overarching goal of this project () is to enhance household food security and safety and improve the livelihoods of poultry smallholder producers by reducing economic losses and zoonotic risks along the value chain, by developing culturally and economically appropriate, gender sensitive One Health interventions at the producer level, resulting in reduced flock mortality, pathogen occurrence, and human health risks. The project founded by The United States Agency for International Development (USAID), managed by the University of Florida (UF) and will run for three years in the region of Centre-Nord in Burkina Faso Burkina Faso.
CIFOR, acting on behalf of ILRI, is seeking to recruit a qualified Research Assistant to provide relevant services as summarized below.
Duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate all in country activities of Poultry losses and One Health project in Burkina Faso
- Contribute to the design planning and implementation of research activities related to poultry production and health and One Health
- Lead field survey design using ODK, data collection and processing and analysis
- Supervise field assistants and enumerators during collection of epidemiological and socio- economic data
- Engage with project partners and government institutions to dissemination of project outputs through meetings and feedback workshops
- Write technical reports, brief and other communication materials
- Participate in the preparation and publication of research results/reports
- Assist in organizing workshops, training or field work as required
Education, knowledge and experience
- Degree in Veterinary Medicine, with an MSc degree or equivalent qualification and experience in veterinary epidemiology, food safety or public health.
- Three to five years of relevant professional experience, in a multidisciplinary working environment
- Good knowledge of the livestock production systems in Burkina Faso, especially village poultry production systems
- Good knowledge of the public and private veterinary services and other stakeholders of the poultry value chains.
- Strong computer skills in relevant office application software packages (i.e. MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access).
- Strong statistical analysis skills (i.e. STATA, SPSS)
Personal attributes and competencies
- Ability to meet set goals consistently, while remaining focused and goal oriented
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and French. Ability to communicate in a major local language will be an asset
- Application of ethics, principles, standards, and expertise in all areas of work
- Ability to work and relate to others in mutual support and respect towards common goals and a shared vision, building and nurturing strong and authentic reciprocal relationships
- An ability to work effectively, respectfully, and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives is critical for all staff members
- Ability to work in basic field conditions
- Competency in personal organization and priority setting with the ability to work effectively under time pressure and manage multiple priorities.
Terms and conditions
- This is a local position. CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency commensurate with skills and experience.
- The POLOH project will last 3 years from July 2022 to June 2025, inclusive of a three-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
- The application deadline is 15th August 2022.
- We will acknowledge all applications but will only contact short-listed candidates.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to :
Alida Toe - A.Toe@cgiar.org
Michel Dione - M.Dione@cgiar.org
CIFOR-ICRAF and ILRI promote Gender Diversity – Applications from women professionals are encouraged.
CIFOR-ICRAF and ILRI are equal opportunity employers. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Aug-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Global Position)
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Post Doctoral Fellow)
Consultant For a Review on Rights-Based Approaches in Climate Change, Conservation, and Development Initiatives (Consultancy)
GLFx Digital & Community Support Intern (Internship)
Home-based, preferably in CEST time zone or similar