Job Status: In-progress
Job Category: Consultancy
Duty Station: Home-based
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR-ICRAF are non-profit, scientific institutions that conduct research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. Our work focuses on innovative research, developing partners’ capacity, and actively engaging in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. Our work spans the globe, with expertise in the ‘global South’. Founded in 1993 and 1978 respectively, CIFOR-ICRAF began merging on January 1, 2019. They are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Freelance Graphic Designer – Africa
With the aim of increasing its regional communications capacities in sub-Saharan Africa, CIFOR-ICRAF is looking for a bilingual (French/English) graphic designer to work on a freelance basis.
The selected candidate must be based in the West/Central Africa region.
Duties and responsibilities
- Work on the layout and preparation of a wide variety of print and electronic communication materials (e.g. brochures, infographics, banners, posters, leaflets, flyers, reports, social media cards, etc.).
- Work on the layout and preparation of “knowledge products” produced by CIFOR.
- Prepare alternative creative designs for communication materials in line with CIFOR guidelines.
- Produce communication materials in both English and French, ensuring that all language edits are included in both language versions.
- Liaise closely with the relevant teams in the development, review and approval of the communication materials.
- Assist with scheduling of the production process (e.g. copy and proofreading, graphics, translation services, typesetting, printing, etc.).
- Other graphic design tasks as assigned.
Education, knowledge and experience
- university degree in graphic design or related art and design qualifications
- five to eight years’ experience in the design of a wide range of communication materials for printing and electronic distribution
- strong theoretical and practical background in graphic design
- excellent command of Adobe Creative Suite (e.g. InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator etc.)
- knowledge of video editing software (e.g. Adobe Premier and AfterEffects) a plus
- advanced understanding of vector-based imagery
- knowledge of and keen interest in nature conservation and rural development issues
- written and spoken proficiency in English and French.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- ability to work on multiple tasks and deliver high quality designs within short time-frames
- demonstrated creative and mature style of design, with an excellent eye for detail
- demonstrated understanding of the communication requirements of an international organization
- professional work ethic, integrity and initiative.
Terms and conditions
- This is a part-time consultancy position.
- Duration of the assignment is 11 months.
- Working locations: Home-based.
To apply, please send your CV and three samples of your work to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Africa graphic designer.
To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Mar-2021
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
Based in Various Location,
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Based in Various location
Senior Scientist – Integrated Landscape Management (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
Based in Nairobi, Kenya or Bonn, Germany
GLF Partner Engagement Consultant (Consultancy)
Based in Home-based
Social Media Intern (Internship)
Based in Home-based
Consultant for Data Algorithm and Programming for Wildlife Trade (Consultancy)
Based in Bogor, Indonesia