Job Status: In-progress
Job Category: Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS)
Duty Station: Ouagadougou
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR-ICRAF are non-profit, scientific institutions that conduct research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. Our work focuses on innovative research, developing partners’ capacity, and actively engaging in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. Our work spans the globe, with expertise in the ‘global South’. Founded in 1993 and 1978 respectively, CIFOR-ICRAF began merging on January 1, 2019. They are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) is looking to recruit a Research Assistant to help conduct activities under the Eco-PPR and Food Safety projects in the ILRI office in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. ILRI works to improve food security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for better and more sustainable use of livestock. ILRI is a CGIAR research centre – part of a global research partnership for a food-secure future www.cgiar.org. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa.
The animal and human health team at ILRI is looking to strengthen its ILRI, Ouagadougou team to support ongoing research activities in the Pull-Push Food Safety project. To support implementation of these project activities we are looking to recruit a highly motivated Research Assistant.
CIFOR-ICRAF, acting on behalf of ILRI, is looking to recruit a qualified Research Assistant to provide relevant services as summarized below.
Duties and responsibilitiesThe successful candidate will perform the following duties:
- Contribute to research activities/fieldwork in relevant value chains, including chicken and vegetable value chains
- Work with project partners to support the implementation of communication campaigns to promote better food safety
- Assist in the evaluation of food safety communication campaigns and other food safety interventions, including assessment of behavioural change; lead field activities including supervision of field assistants and enumerators in the area of behavioural change impact.
- Support field activities for epidemiological studies including food sample collection and surveys
- Contribute to the design planning and implementation of research activities
- Participate with project partners in training, data collection, management and processing
- Conduct literature reviews of food safety in Africa, including interventions and behavioural change
- Participate in the preparation and publication of research results/reports
- Assist in organizing workshops, training or field work as required
- Contribute to maintaining appropriate communications and relations with field assistants and project partners
- Be involved in other research activities carried out by the Animal and Human Health Program in Burkina Faso as required.
Education, knowledge and experience
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification and experience in food safety, public health, livestock, agriculture, economics or behavioral science. A master’s degree will be an advantage
- At least two years of relevant professional experience, preferably in Burkina Faso and in a multidisciplinary working environment
- Experience in research
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and French. Ability to communicate in a major local language will be an asset
- Strong computer skills in relevant office application software packages (i.e. MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access).
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- Ability to meet set goals consistently, while remaining focused and goal oriented
- Application of ethics, principles, standards and expertise in all areas of work
- Ability to work and relate to others in mutual support and respect towards common goals and a shared vision, building and nurturing strong and authentic reciprocal relationships
- An ability to work effectively, respectfully and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives is critical for all staff members
- Ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and to take initiative and exercise good judgment
- Ability to work in basic field conditions
- Competency in personal organization and priority setting with the ability to work effectively under time pressure and manage multiple priorities.
Terms and conditions
- This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position.
- CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in francs CFA (FCFA) commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for a period of 2 years, inclusive of a 6-month probation period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- This position will be based in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Dec-2020
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Another open position
General Call for Applications - Science Roster (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
Based in Various Location,
General Call for Applications - Consultant Roster (Consultancy)
Based in Various location
Science Communications Intern (Internship)
Based in Home-based
Scientist (Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS))
Based in Bogor, Indonesia
Consultant to Support the Editing of the State of the Forest Report (Consultancy)
Based in Yaoundé, Cameroon