The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Chief of Knowledge
The Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) is a partnership initiative led by CIFOR through its GLF Team. The team will be located mainly in a new CIFOR office in Bonn, Germany. The GLF Team is responsible for delivery on all GLF activities, and for expanding the GLF partnership and community. The GLF is organized in three work areas led by the Community of Landscapes Leader, GLF Executive Producer, and Chief of Knowledge respectively.
The Global Landscapes Forum is the world’s largest inter-sectoral platform designed to examine knowledge, share experiences and accelerate action by communities as they invest in and move towards more resilient, climate friendly, diverse, productive, equitable and, thereby, sustainable landscapes. Founded by CIFOR, UN Environment, and The World Bank, and with core funding provided by the German Government, the Global Landscapes Forum is scaling-up to engage one billion people in realizing their local priorities, while at the same time contributing significantly towards the overall achievement of the sustainable development goals and climate agenda. Since 2013, over 25,000 stakeholders from more than 3,000 organizations and 110 countries have engaged with the GLF both in person and online, with stakeholders from community and indigenous peoples organizations, finance, civil society, government, media and the youth. The GLF Community of Landscapes is founded on four principles: connecting, sharing, learning and acting. Our vision considers people first and recognizes that people acting together drive change.
Over the next four years, with the support of core funding from the German government and with the support of core, co-founding partners, such as UN Environment and the World Bank, the GLF will expand the discussion to a larger audience than ever before, and place communities at the centre of the conversation. This event will challenge global influencers to react, expand, and — of course — scale-up actions required to build sustainable landscapes.
The Global Landscapes Forum is a place where a farmer can inform action, pathways and policies; where international organizations can learn from the private sector and vice versa; and where CEOs, community leaders, communicators and technologists can share, learn, connect and act together.
From building the investment case for sustainable landscapes, to protecting peatlands, to supporting restoration in Africa, the Global Landscapes Forum has been at the cutting edge in hosting and facilitating all manner of discussions to accelerate positive action for people, for the environment, and for the achievement of global climate and sustainable development goals.
Together we will create a global force to achieve the SGDs and climate agenda by creating a positive vision of what we can do it we all work together.
BE A PART OF A GLOBAL MOVEMENT. BE A PART OF THE GLF.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide knowledge leadership to and collaborate with other GLF staff and partners to ensure consistency, relevance, guidance and science quality of all GLF outputs and activities;
- Lead and facilitate knowledge/ learning committees for and reporting from GLF events (global, regional, thematic);
- Prepare knowledge products (inter alia science reviews, policy briefs, white papers, fact sheets, briefs) that help advance sustainable landscapes;
- Develop strategies, principles and partnerships for landscape learning opportunities covering different age groups, geographical/cultural contexts and different languages;
- Oversee implementation of GLF Learning programmes and actions;
- Oversee documentation, templates and guidance for GLF discussion forums, plenaries, webinars and other processes that occur as part of GLF platforms and events;
- as part of the GLF management team advance the GLF mission, partnership, community, operations and evaluations
- Regular travel to event locations and to partnership meetings.
Education, knowledge and experience
• PhD in academic field that is relevant to one or more of the GLF themes and sustainable development goals.
• At least 10 years experience working in science and knowledge management in developing countries
• Ability to produce high quality written content
• Good understanding of international development and/or environment policy processes;
• Experience in planning, implementing and evaluating complex projects;
• Fluency in English is essential, other languages (esp. French, Spanish, German) an advantage.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Self-motivated, resourceful and energetic;
• Able to find creative solutions;
• Able to strategize at both macro and micro levels;
• A team player and have outstanding interpersonal communications skills;
• Outstanding diplomatic and negotiation skills;
• Proven ability to work well under pressure.
Terms and Conditions
• The duty station will be in Bonn, Germany;
• CIFOR employment’s conditions follow local labor laws regulations. CIFOR will employ suitable candidates regardless of nationality, provided that he / she complies with the local requirements for working in the posting location;
• Competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience;
To apply, please visit our career site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Dec-2017
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.