The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
CIFOR’s research teams work on projects covering many topics, supported by a wide range of donors and involving a number of partners. The projects must adhere to standards set by CIFOR policies to meet CGIAR requirements and donors’ standards. This requires coordination between different units within CIFOR and partners outside CIFOR. The Program Coordinator supports project managers in this.
Under the supervision of Team Leader, Program Management and Coordination, the Program Coordinator will contribute to development, coordination and smooth implementation of projects and assist in ensuring they align to CIFOR’s strategy and policies and to donors’ requirements.
Duties and responsibilities
- Maintain and further develop engagement with project managers in Forest and Human Well-being (HWB) and Sustainable Landscapes and Food Systems (SLF) research teams, during project start-up, implementation and closing for planning and implementation of activities;
- Initiate and coordinate project start-up meetings for HWB and SLF projects to ensure all teams involved are aware of donor requirements as well as project objectives;
- Liaise with the Research to Impact (RTI) team and project managers on Theory of Change – Monitoring, Evaluation and Impact Assessment (MEIA) to ensure lessons are fed back to project development;
- Liaise with other research teams, including the Communication, Outreach and Engagement Team, Finance and Administration, where needed, to facilitate effective project implementation;
- Support the drafting of donor and partner reports and collection of deliverables, including reporting to CGIAR;
- Actively engage with partners to share information and assist in the development of strategic partnerships (MoUs);
- Represent CIFOR at relevant meetings with visitors/donors, in coordination with the Resource Development and Partnership (RDP) team/specific scientists/research teams/projects.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline;
• 5 years of relevant professional experience including 2 years’ global experience;
• Familiarity with the CGIAR systems, networks and processes is preferred;
• Experience in large projects, strong project management skills;
• Excellent written and spoken command of the English language is essential; knowledge of other major international languages will be an advantage;
• Strong computer skills in all the main Microsoft Office programs and database management.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Displays initiative and is capable of working independently as well as in team environments;
• Is well planned and organized even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with good analytical and problem-solving skills;
• Pays attention to detail, as well as having an eye for the bigger picture;
• Has excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to interact effectively with people of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds, and to be a team player;
• Works with trustworthiness and integrity.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in Indonesian Rupiah (IDR), commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of two years, inclusive of a six-month probation period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR Headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia
To apply, please visit our career site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 19 Nov-2017
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.