The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Senior Events Officer
Under supervision of the Team Leader of Outreach and Engagement, the Senior Events Officer is responsible for preparing the global communications strategy and budget forecasting each year for conferences and events, providing support to the internal and external communication coordination, events budget management and overall events logistic support including publication dissemination. The Senior Events Officer will work closely with COE team members on outreach, mainstream and social media campaigns related to event planning and support scientists and others to promote their research at events, workshops and conferences.
Duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for developing and updating an events database. Conducting research to build a more comprehensive event portfolio for the institution in order to maximize its impact and influence in the forestry sector and beyond
- Responsible for maintaining and updating the CIFOR’s Events Management System, Events webpage and Events Calendar
- Create effective strategies for budgeting for events and for incorporating these costs into research proposals and project/programs to enhance impact
- Prepare and manage internal events budget, coordination and finance administration processes
- Manage contracts and relations with vendors for events
- Provide a full event planning (checklists and reports) and logistical service for CIFOR researchers
- Responsible for setting up online registrations and registration handling for all CIFOR organized events
- Developing support materials for CIFOR staff attending events including exhibitions, publications and other promotional items
Education, knowledge and experience
• Bachelor degree in communication or related discipline
• At least 10 years’ experience in events planning, logistics and budget management
• Experience in coordinating large conferences, involving senior Government ministers and managing attendances of more than 1,000 participants
• Proven ability to provide professional communication consultation
• Fluency in English and working knowledge of other international language is an advantage
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Have initiative and capable of working independently as well as in team environments
• Strong client service approach
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively and positively interact with people in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment – including CIFOR staff, management and external contractors/suppliers
• Ability in personal organization, planning, priority setting and managing multiple tasks
• Attention to detail
• Ability to work under pressure
• Willingness to travel frequently (between 25 % and 50 % of the time)
Terms and Conditions
• This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position;
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in Indonesian Rupiah (IDR), commensurate with skills and experience;
• The appointment will be for a period of two years, inclusive of a six month probation period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources;
• The duty station will be at CIFOR Headquarters in Bogor.
To apply, please visit our career site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 28 Oct-2017
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.