The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Three Science Writers and Editors (two English, and one French)
The Consultant Science Writers and Editors will be responsible for generating, editing and curating content and special features for CIFOR’s scientific and corporate publications, corporate website, CIFOR.org, its sub-sites, and enhance the publications’ quality and effectiveness in attracting and engaging with target audiences, with the aim of increasing the number of downloads and citations.
CIFOR.org, which attracts more than one million views a year, is home to the world’s largest repository of knowledge on tropical forests and landscapes, built by CIFOR’s researchers and partners throughout the organization’s 23-year history. CIFOR is designing initiatives to package that knowledge for audiences in new ways to continue to grow the web as an uptake pathway.
This consultancy will suit a seasoned writer and editor with a flair for translating complex concepts into layman terms, a passion for science communications, and ideas on ways to present contents in print and digital forms to better engage target audiences. Understanding of print production and how websites work is useful, but technical expertise is not required.
The consultant will work with talented and experienced publication and web teams (graphic designers, programmers, analysts and web designers) and serve as a liaison between the publication and web teams and their clients (CIFOR researchers and colleagues within the Communication, Outreach and Engagement team).
Duties and responsibilities
- Write and/or edit a range of information and knowledge products, including, among others, news articles, feature articles, policy briefs, reports, speeches, factsheets, flyers, proposals, promotional materials, etc.
- Produce web content for CIFOR.org and sub-sites, as determined by the Team Leader, Editorial and Multimedia Services
- Liaise with researchers and project coordinators to support the development and production of information and knowledge products (print and web)
- Other tasks related to scientific writing and editing for print and web, as required by the Team Leader, Editorial and Multimedia Services
Education, knowledge and experience
• Science Writers and Editors (English): Native fluency in formal and idiomatic English; other major languages an asset
• Science Writers and Editors (French): Native fluency in formal and idiomatic French; other major languages an asset
• University degree in a related discipline (communications, development, international relations, environment, etc.)
• Demonstrated ability to write and edit high-quality and accessible English-language science communications materials, especially for print and web, in a range of styles as required (samples of unedited writing will be requested)
• Demonstrated interest and experience in the use of print publications and websites for science or other research/development communications
• International experience with NGO or comparable organization an advantage
• Familiarity with WordPress preferred
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
• Strong client service approach
• Resourceful, adaptable and self-directed, and able to find creative solutions
• Passion for excellence
Terms and Conditions
• This is a Consultancy position for CIFOR’s Roster
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience
• This a home-based position but preferably in Jakarta or Bogor, Indonesia
To apply, please visit our careers site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit:
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Sep-2017
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.