The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
General Call for Applications – Internship
The Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) is a partnership initiative led by CIFOR through its GLF Team. The team will be located mainly in a new CIFOR office in Bonn, Germany. The GLF Team is responsible for delivery of all GLF activities, and for expanding the GLF partnership and community.
The Global Landscapes Forum is the world’s largest inter-sectoral platform that examines knowledge, shares experiences and accelerates action by communities as they invest in and move towards more resilient, climate friendly, diverse, productive, equitable and sustainable landscapes. Founded by CIFOR, UN Environment, and the World Bank, with core funding from the German government, the forum is scaling-up to engage one billion people in realizing their local priorities, while at the same time contributing towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and the climate agenda. Since 2013, over 25,000 stakeholders from more than 3,000 organizations and 110 countries have engaged with the forum (both in person and online), including representatives from community and indigenous peoples’ organizations, financial institutions, civil society, government, the media and youth organizations. The forum’s Community of Landscapes is founded on the four principles of connecting, sharing, learning and acting. The forum’s vision considers people first and recognizes that people acting together drive change.
Over the next four years, supported by core funding from the German government and the support of the co-founding partners (UN Environment and the World Bank), the forum will expand the discussion to a larger audience, and place communities at the center of the conversation. The forum’s activities will challenge global influencers to react, expand and scale-up the actions required to build more sustainable landscapes.
The Global Landscapes Forum is a place where a farmer can inform action, pathways and policies; where international organizations can learn from the private sector and vice versa; and where CEOs, community leaders, communicators and technologists can share, learn, connect and act together.
From building the investment case for sustainable landscapes, to protecting peatlands, to supporting the restoration of land in Africa, the forum has been at the cutting edge in hosting and facilitating all manner of discussions to accelerate positive action for people, for the environment, and for achieving the global climate and Sustainable Development Goals.
The forum aims to create a global force to achieve the SDG and climate agendas through a positive vision of what different stakeholders can achieve by working together.
Duties and responsibilities
- Assist the GLF team with event planning, communication outreach and the generation of knowledge products.
- Support the monitoring of activities and reporting on outputs.
- Carry out research on partner organizations, speakers and others who can add value to GLF activities.
- Promote and distribute the content of the GLF and Landscapes News across platishers, long-form social media channels, and other forums.
- In collaboration with GLF staff, pitch and generate ideas to promote social media and web engagement.
- Contribute to facilitation efforts, knowledge curation and the development of the learning lab course and its modules.
- Support program activities and administrative tasks.
Education, knowledge and experience
• A recent graduate of, a bachelor’s or master’s program in communications, public relations, journalism, social sciences, international development, environmental science or a related discipline.
• A demonstrated interest in and knowledge of issues related to forests, climate, landscapes and sustainable development.
• Excellent English writing and communication skills.
• Proven skills in social media networking.
• Familiarity with micro-blogging, content marketing, platishers, and forums.
• Experience in campaign management, event coordination and facilitation is a plus.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Effective time management and the ability to think strategically and find solutions.
• An excellent eye for detail and dedication to quality outputs.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds and to be a collaborative team player.
• A strong interest in using traditional and digital media to communicate complex information to broad audiences, and in gaining skills in communicating science.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an internship opportunity.
• Duration of assignment: 6 months, with possibility of extension.
• CIFOR may provide interns with a monthly stipend or living allowance in accordance with the project document or as agreed with the sponsor. The stipend or living allowance shall follow the rate used by CIFOR’s Human Resources Unit for interns.
• Under the overall guidance of the GLF Communications and Outreach Director, duties may be completed remotely, or from the CIFOR office in Bogor, Indonesia or from the GLF Secretariat in Bonn, Germany.
• This a home-based position but preferably in Bonn, Germany.
To apply, please visit our careers site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit:
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Jul-2018
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.