The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Social Media Consultant
The Global Landscapes Forum enhances well-being and environment for all by putting people first and with the understanding that:
· Communities (people acting together) drive change,
· Landscapes are complex and require flexible solutions, and
· Local collective consciousness and solutions can fulfill global goals.
The Global Landscapes Forum is the world’s largest inter-sectoral platform designed to examine knowledge, share experiences and accelerate action by communities as they invest in and move towards more resilient, climate friendly, diverse, productive, equitable and, thereby, sustainable landscapes. Founded by CIFOR, UN Environment, and The World Bank, and with core funding provided by the German Government, the Global Landscape Forum is scaling up to engage one billion people in realizing their local priorities, while at the same time contributing significantly towards the overall achievement of the sustainable development goals and climate agenda. Since 2013, over 25,000 stakeholders from more than 3000 organizations and 110 countries have engaged with the GLF both in person and online, with stakeholders from community and indigenous people’s organizations, finance, civil society, government, media and the youth.
The GLF Community of Landscapes is founded on four principles: connecting, sharing, learning and acting. Our vision considers people first and recognizes that people acting together drive change.
Over the next four years, with the support of core funding from the German government and with the support of core, co-founding partners, such as UN Environment and the World Bank, the GLF will expand the discussion to a larger audience than ever before, and place communities at the center of the conversation. This event will challenge global influencers to react, expand, and – of course – scale up actions required to build sustainable landscapes.
The Global Landscapes Forum is a place where a farmer can inform action, pathways and policies; where international organizations can learn from the private sector and vice versa; and where CEOs, community leaders, communicators and technologists can share, learn, connect and act together.
From building the investment case for sustainable landscapes, to protecting peatlands, to supporting restoration in Africa, the Global Landscapes Forum has been at the cutting edge in hosting and facilitating all manner of discussions to accelerate positive action for people, for the environment, and for the achievement of global climate and sustainable development goals.
Together we will create a global force to achieve the SGDs and climate agenda by creating a positive vision of what we can do if we all work together.
Since its inception in 2013, the Global Landscapes Forum has turned into the world’s foremost science-led platform for policy makers, researchers, development practitioners and representatives from civil society, finance and the corporate sector to exchange expertise and best case examples around land use decision making. The Social Media Consultant will help the GLF reach its goal of connecting 1 billion people by engaging in innovative, creative and impactful social media campaigns to drive traffic to GLF websites and social media channels. He/she will also be in charge of managing the GLF video and photo competitions.
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage CIFOR’s social media platforms on a day-to-day basis
- Closely track metrics and monitor
social media trends
- Reach out to and engage a wide network
of social media partners
- Identify emerging trends and new
social media formats
- Support social media strategy
- Implement social media strategy in
close cooperation with the GLF teams as well as partners
- Support strategic expansion of GLF’s
social media network and reach
- Support social media outreach
- Support development of innovative
approaches and projects for increasing social media reach (for example
competitions, quizzes, videos, GIF competitions etc.).
Education, knowledge and experience
• University degree in a related discipline (communications, development, international relations, environment, etc.)
• Demonstrated interest and experience in the strategic and innovative use of social media for nonprofit or international organizations, preferably at a global level and including for global events
• Demonstrated familiarity with social listening tools and the rapidly evolving terminology and jargon used in social media
• Demonstrated familiarity with social listening tools for analysis and monitoring, including Hootsuite, Crowdbooster, Hashtracking, Tweetdeck, Facebook and Twitter Insights, Meltwater and NodeXL
• Demonstrated ability to write and edit high-quality and accessible English-language science communications materials, especially journalistic-style blogs, in a range of styles for a global audience (samples of unedited writing will be requested)
• Fluency in formal and idiomatic English; other major languages an asset
• International experience with NGO or comparable organization an advantage
• Skills with photographic and graphic design software (to be able to make own social media materials) an advantage.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
• Strong client service approach
• Ability to manage own time to deliver assignments to deadline
• Resourceful, adaptable and self-directed.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a consultancy position.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
• This a home-based position, but preferably in Bonn, Germany.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
Application processThe application deadline is 10 Sep-2017
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.