The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Scientist, Forests, Food Security and Nutrition
The Scientist for Forests, Food Security and Nutrition will support CIFOR’s growing portfolio of work linking forests, food security and nutrition, including the work of the Bushmeat Research Initiative, by providing support for on-going projects and feedback on outputs and proposals for future work. The successful candidate will enhance the understanding of dietary and nutrition issues and methodologies among CIFOR staff and partners. Specific support for projects within CIFOR’s current Forests, Food Security and Nutrition portfolio will include:
• Agrarian Change Research Project (to 2018)
• Nutrition and Trees in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Regional Comparative Study. With funding from DfID, 2013–2017: Ethiopia, Uganda, Zambia, Cameroon and Burkina Faso.
• Bushmeat Research Initiative
• DEVCO Forests and Fish (Central Africa) 2017–2020
• From Growing Food to Growing Cash: Understanding the Drivers of Food Choice in the Context of Rapid Agrarian Change in Indonesia 2016–2018.
Duties and responsibilities
Summary of responsibilities
· Assist with analysis of dietary data from existing operational projects and initiatives
· Provide methodological guidance on the incorporation of different aspects of nutrition into future research projects
· Contribute to greater visibility of CIFOR’s research within the nutrition community
· Liaise with other CRP's, e.g. A4NH, livestock and fish, plus others
· Provide training to Center and CRP-wide staff on nutrition and diet research methods and ethics
· Contribute to the development of new projects and strategic direction for work on forests and food security and nutrition.
Education, knowledge and experience
• PhD in a discipline related to the field: nutrition, health, etc.
• A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in collaborative research
• Publications record especially in peer-reviewed publications
• Track record in resource mobilization/fund-raising and in proposal development/writing
• Fluent in spoken and written English, fluency in another international language, particularly French, would be an advantage
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Excellent analytical skills
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, experience in working with multicultural and multidisciplinary research teams
• Facilitation and teambuilding abilities
• An understanding of the value of sharing information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an internationally recruited staff (IRS) position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in USD, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment is for 2 years, inclusive of a 9-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 20 Aug-2017
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.