The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Senior Research Officer, REDD+ Climate Policy
The Global Comparative Study on REDD+ (GCS REDD+) project builds on more than two decades of CIFOR research efforts to understand the causes of deforestation and forest degradation, and the analysis of the effectiveness, efficiency and equity of policies related to forests and climate change. The first phase of CIFOR’s REDD+ research focused on overall design issues and aimed to build a strong research-based knowledge. The second phase focused on generating new knowledge to inform and facilitate the process of transformational change within the REDD+ policy arena, and understanding the performance of REDD+ policy processes, measures and practices. We now are in the third phase, which supports REDD+ decision makers by assessing REDD+ impacts and providing critical analysis of REDD+ in terms of effectiveness, efficiency and equity (3Es). This Senior Research Officer will be part of Climate Change, Energy and Low Carbon Development Team, and support the Scientists in CCE Research team working on REDD+.
CIFOR will work with research partners and engage with stakeholders so that REDD+ policy makers and practitioner communities have access to and use the information, analysis and tools needed to design and implement efficient, effective and equitable REDD+.
The project comprises five modules:
• Module 1 (REDD+ policies) focuses on effective, efficient and equitable (3E) REDD+ policies and processes, including the design of mechanisms for REDD+ benefit sharing and Safeguard Information Systems, and measures progress with REDD+ at the national level.
• Module 2 (REDD+ subnational initiatives) focuses on assessing the performance of REDD+ subnational initiatives, i.e. REDD+ projects implemented by governments and NGOs at various levels.
• Module 3 (Measuring carbon emissions) focuses on measuring carbon emissions and determining forest and carbon reference levels, and works on the Monitoring, Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MMRV) of forests and carbon.
• Module 4 (Multilevel governance) focuses on understanding the synergies and trade-offs in joint mitigation and adaptation, and addresses the challenges of multilevel and multi-sector governance and carbon management.
• Module 5 (Knowledge sharing) is dedicated to partner engagement and dissemination of knowledge.
Project website: http://www.cifor.org/gcs/
Duties and responsibilities
Summary of responsibilities
1) Participate in global comparative research, and lead research on REDD+ in Indonesia, more specifically:
- Participate in and lead policy research at national and subnational levels, and conduct research tasks by collecting, compiling, processing and analyzing data.
- Oversee the development of a database containing the data obtained from interviews and surveys in association with the global comparative work on REDD+ policies and governance.
- Contribute to data analysis by using a variety of practices and techniques (including literature review) related to GCS-Module 1 (Qualitative Comparative Analysis, Network Analysis with UCINET, NVivo), including analysis of the individual country case studies and the global comparative analysis.
- Maintain and use databases related to Module 1 (mainly in Access).
- Contribute to the preparation and publication of research results/reports, including peer-reviewed journal publications and deliver presentations internal and external to CIFOR as required.
- Contribute to other research activities as required.
2) Provide project management support:
- Support the coordination of Module 1 of the global comparative study on REDD+ (GCS-REDD+).
- Contribute to the implementation of research activities, including the development of budget plans.
- Organize workshops, field work, training of and knowledge sharing with partners of Module 1, or field work as required.
- Maintain appropriate communications with key stakeholders and partners as requested by project manager. These may include local and national government agencies; environmental and development, social advocacy NGOs; private companies if applicable; and donor organizations.
- Represent CIFOR and the project in meetings as required.
- Other duties as required by the project.
3) Support cross components coordination as required:
- Coordinate activities, meetings and discussions.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Masters Degree in political science, social science or other related discipline;
• A minimum of five years of working experience in project management and sustainable forest management ;
• Knowledge in Climate change mitigation, REDD+ and/or natural resource management, forest management are an advantage;
• Knowledge in network and text analysis;
• Knowledge in comparative research;
• Excellent written and spoken English;
• Good computer skills especially in database application, such as Access.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Is competent in personal organization and priority setting, with the ability to work effectively under time pressure and to manage multiple priorities
• Has initiative and is capable of working independently as well as being an effective team player
• Has good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment
• Has experience working with a wide and diverse network of groups and individuals.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in Indonesian Rupiah (IDR), commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of two years, inclusive of a six month probation period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR Headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia (with travel to research sites)
To apply, please visit our career site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Apr-2017
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.