The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
FTA Communications and Editorial Consultant
CIFOR is the lead center for the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA).
The FTA program gathers world-renowned experts in the area and generates a large volume of innovative research outputs (papers, databases, projects results, etc.). FTA publishes a wide variety of knowledge products, including specific, tailor-made content for different audiences, from raw research results, to cutting-edge videos, blog stories and presentations at key events. These are featured on the website ForestsTreesAgroforestry.org, on FTA partner websites, and disseminated through various channels, social media and conferences. Working closely with members of CIFOR and partner centers, including technical, scientific and outreach staff, the Consultant will be responsible for contents development and the development of the FTA web communications platform, and other communication channels, under the direct supervision of the Editorial and Multimedia Manager, and overall supervision of the Director, FTA.
Duties and responsibilities
- Maintain the program website (at ForestsTreesAgroforestry.org) and develop, write, edit, source and upload materials to ensure all content remains up to date, accurate and appropriate
- Plan, develop and write outcome stories, and content packages to showcase FTA research
- Coordinate submissions, events, announcements and content from partners
- Participate in strategic communication planning, and develop high-impact tactics and products
- Build and maintain internal communications channels between FTA center focal points, including scheduling and coordinating regular communications meetings, sharing center information and communicating FTA decisions
- Support the FTA Management Support Unit in the production of plans of works and annual reports to funders
- Monitor FTA's presence and identity online: communicate with partners and stakeholders to increase and improve branding, links, messaging
- Work with partner centers to build and maintain FTA pages on their center websites
- Develop contents and coordinate the production of the FTA newsletter (6 editions per year)
- Help build and grow a mailing list of FTA stakeholders
- Explore, develop and maintain appropriate social media channels for FTA
- Help establish branding for standardizing communications products across FTA
- All related tasks as assigned by FTA Director and Editorial and Multimedia Manager.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Degree in a related discipline, such as Communications, Journalism, Science Writing
• At least 10 years’ experience of writing and editing professionally
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Ability to work well in team environments
• Ability to take initiative and find solutions
• Excellent attention to detail
• Ability to manage multiple tasks
• Strong client service approach
• Knowledge of WordPress and social media
• Fluency in English, French, and Spanish
Terms and Conditions
• This is a consultancy position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
• Please submit letter of interest and CV, including contact information for three referees. The application deadline is 11 January 2017.
• We will acknowledge all applications, but only contact short-listed candidates
Application processThe application deadline is 11 Jan-2017
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.