The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Freelance Book/Report Typesetter
The consultant will take on short-term, product-based, assignments to produce international-quality publication design products. Tasks will be assigned to assist staff designers during high-volume periods to accommodate and support publications requests without delays and with highest quality.
Duties and responsibilities
- Consult with clients and typesetting staff to determine project specs and deliverables;
- Ensure creative and design deliverables are representative of the project goals and CIFOR brand values;
- Provide advice and recommendations for typesetting options and supporting details such as photography, illustrations, and printing specs;
- Develop project timelines as required, deliver projects on time and to highest standards.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in creative design or communications. Background in science or environmental studies is an advantage;
• Minimum 3 years’ experience typesetting books, academic writing or reports;
• Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite applications, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat;
• Experience proofreading using Adobe PDF mark-up;
• Excellent knowledge of print production/finishing, digital and offset printing knowledge, and camera ready formatting for printing;
• Highly proficient typography skills and can carefully input details and corrections, including effective version control and preparation for print.
• Past professional experience working in English.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• An independent thinker who is self-motivated and able to juggle many projects and initiatives at one time;
• Ability to work quickly from concept creation to finished product;
• Comfortable taking constructive criticism as well as developing and presenting original ideas to staff and clients;
• Has creativity and takes initiative.
• Is capable of working independently as well as an effective team player;
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, with fluent written and spoken English.
Terms and Conditions
Terms and conditions
• This is a consultancy position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
• Please submit letter of interest and CV, including contact information for three referees. The application deadline is 30 December 2016.
• We will acknowledge all applications, but only contact short-listed candidates.
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Dec-2016
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.